Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting like mad

Hi folks

My Barne girls have just started to moult seriously and I was wondering if there is anything I can do in order to help them through it.

I remember Bramble once suggested marmite on toast for the B12 and I think they will need extra something - vitamins, protein??????

Any advice most welcome

I'd appreciate help on this also. She doesn't seem ill or unhappy. just feathers everywhere lol... is this usual at this time of year? is there something missing from her diet?

Thanks

Comment

Ours are looking a bit baldy just now too! We have been giving them some Poultry Spice mixed in their pellets to help them, hopefully they will look better soon because it is getting colder.

Comment

Same here Some of them are looking as bad as newly rescued battery hens I'm giving them extra poultry spice and I'd forgotten about the marmite so I'll give them some tomorrow instead of their late afternoon corn treat
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

i might do the marmite thing too!! might share my brekkies with them!!

Comment

Keep up with the layers pellet so they get enough protein to grow their feathers back. A little extra corn at tea time will be fine too, just don't overdo it. The nights are longer now so something in the system that takes longer to digest will keep their energy levels up.

Comment

Sarah is almost bald underneath will she be OK to go free ranging or should I keep her in or do I get the knitting needles out and start knitting sweaters?;

Comment

My local breeder told me to feed with layer pellets and nothing else and especially not corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorsty View Post
                  Sarah is almost bald underneath will she be OK to go free ranging or should I keep her in or do I get the knitting needles out and start knitting sweaters?;
                  She will be fine. She will grow back her feathers in no time, do not worry.

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
                    My local breeder told me to feed with layer pellets and nothing else and especially not corn.
                    As a general rule layers pellets should form the main diet, but a handful of corn spread among several chickens an hour or so before roosting does no harm and is a good way of getting your chickens to come to you or if you need to shut them into a run after they have been free ranging. When hens are moulting and especially now when the nights are getting chilly, food that provides extra energy, eg corn, is beneficial.

Comment

Now i am no expert at all, i dont even have chickens yet, i just happend to be looking in and reading a certain book and noticed that the subject matter was the same.

But i was reading "Home Poultry Keeping" by G Eley and i noticed that the autor states that "Some varieties of hens take much longer to pass through the moulting period than others - the laying or non-sitting breeds, such as the Leg horns, being generally at least a fortnight quicker than heavy breeds such as the Light Sussex or Rhode Island Red" The author then goes on to say During the first part of the moulting period food supply to the birds should be poor in quality and quantitiy to encourage the feathers to fall as quickly as possible. In fact, commercially, poultry keepers deprive the birds of food for upt0 to 24 hours. However, as soon as the new feathers are being formed, make sure you change back to concentrated layers food.

Like i say, just passing and noticed a link in subject. It is a very old book 1978 last re-printed so it might even be out of date advice. If it is someone might have to say otherwise.

So sorry, i was just passing

Comment

Once again thank you everyone for your advice - they are on layers pellets and do get corn before bedtme anyway. Will step up the poultry spice and do the marmite toast as as a treat - can't do much more can I! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by where2start View Post
                          Now i am no expert at all, i dont even have chickens yet, i just happend to be looking in and reading a certain book and noticed that the subject matter was the same.

But i was reading "Home Poultry Keeping" by G Eley and i noticed that the autor states that "Some varieties of hens take much longer to pass through the moulting period than others - the laying or non-sitting breeds, such as the Leg horns, being generally at least a fortnight quicker than heavy breeds such as the Light Sussex or Rhode Island Red" The author then goes on to say During the first part of the moulting period food supply to the birds should be poor in quality and quantitiy to encourage the feathers to fall as quickly as possible. In fact, commercially, poultry keepers deprive the birds of food for upt0 to 24 hours. However, as soon as the new feathers are being formed, make sure you change back to concentrated layers food.

Like i say, just passing and noticed a link in subject. It is a very old book 1978 last re-printed so it might even be out of date advice. If it is someone might have to say otherwise.

So sorry, i was just passing
                          It's true, the layers always moult faster than heavier birds. My best layers do just drop most of their feathers within a few days, it's quite amazing. First there is the oven ready phase, which turns into the hedgehog phase, and then back to smart new feathers.

Comment

My bantams have never gone anything like bald...just straggly.
                            Their heads look like hedgehogs now though!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Same here guys, 7 out of the 9 in moult and looking shabby although at least 3 of them are towards the end and starting to fluff up, including 2 I rescued which is nice to see, they don't look the same with proper feathers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X