My fox saga!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fox saga!

So last night, randomly went to the back patio door, looked out and saw a blooming fox scaling the top of my fence, walking/falling off over along the top of the featheredge boarding.

My legs turned to jelly. I scrambled around looking for the door keys, found them on the table, opened it and bolted out across the decking, scaled a table in my way, and then vaulted over the decking surrounding rails. Fell all through chicken poo, slid across all the chippings into mud grabbing a rock on my way through towards the side garden where I saw the beast coming in!

I must have started it, as it was making its way over the coop, into the garden I was in (and the chickens) - I could hardly run at this point, I tell ya - I was shaking all over!!!!

Anyway, managed to hop quickly back in (this is all with no shoes on, btw! - my feet are all cut up heh) to the main garden and jump over the back wall (bit of a drop - it's around 10' from the road below) - anyway, cornered the blooming thing inbetween the fence at the back of the coop, the wall and myself/the road.

Panting like a horse just ran a race and still trembling with adrenaline thinking what am I doing, what if it jumps up and mames me.....

"meow".

It was a bloody ginger and white tomcat (bigun mind).

Can't tell you how stupid I felt.. No idea if the neighbours saw me - chickens won't come near me again yet after I'd scooped them up and lobbed them in the coop/run for safety. Man.

Should have gone to Specsavers ?

Comment

haha, true It was the bushy tail with a white tip on that did it for me!!!

Comment

Ha ha ha!!!...you really do fit well into the Vine don't ya????

still- have to say- maybe that was a good warning to alert you to the security aspect of your chooks housng/run????...might be a fox next time
        ..and a reminder to us all to double check the runs etc

Hope your feet get better soon -sounded very very brave of you!...but exceptionally painful
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They were free ranging in the garden, pretty confident the run / coop is fox proof... i must admit though I was suprised as the road along that fence is quite busy.. and the fact that it'd be able to walk(ish) along the top of a feather edge fence - but didn't think these until I was covered in poo and mud

I know there's a fox around - I've seen it around my area, but when the chickens are in the garden, we often keep an eye on them!

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            I know there's a fox around - I've seen it around my area, but when the chickens are in the garden, we often keep an eye on them!
            eeee.......we've had some very nasty tales on here of foxes going into the garden when peeps have been near their chooks and pinched one....or when they've nipped in to answer the phone/make a cuppa!

I'm sure you're very careful...but...
            Last edited by Nicos; 22-10-2010, 11:26 AM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yup, I appreciate the concern and that they're vunerable, but there's no way I can fox proof my entire garden. I don't want to keep them cramped in, so until they're in a larger run - its the garden for the time being..

I do wee around the fence a lot (very liberating!!) - dogs do an awful lot too - the other side...haven't seen a fox around for a while (it was when we moved in last year) but I guess it's only a matter of time. They're put away in the run before they'd roost... just incase but am aware that daylight robberies can happen too!!

Comment

Oh I wish I had seen that! It reminds me of the time I though my neighbours THREE legged ginger cat was a fox.....

Hope nobody was watching.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X