Quick query ! (blocked nose?)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick query ! (blocked nose?)

Semi related -just wondering... do chickens 'sneeze' to clear their nasal cavities - like other birds?

Back on subject, just gave my chickens some porridge and apple - and noticed when eating it, my light sussex was breathing as if she had a blocked nose/sort of like a snotty nosed little kid if you get what I mean. Not noticed it earlier, so wondering if they can get blocked noses - turning into a possible cold?

The others seem fine, it may have just been because of the gloopy porridge - kind of clearing her air hole or something - making sure she could breath?

Is it worth getting something like a multivitamin and giving it to them once a week/fortnight - or am I worrying too much?

Chrismarks, it would be better not to feed them porridge!
    It could be caused by lack of ventilation in the house at night.
    Does their mash or pellets spill on the ground and become damp?

Comment

my buffy once got a blocked nose symptom from eating plums, it cleared after a few days, why not porridge? mine have it sometimes.....when it's not all been eaten for breks, but not milky porridge

Comment

All the books I've read said porridge (oats dry, or cooked into porridge)/other treats in moderation is fine?

She seemed fine this morning, but didn't spend much time with them.

Pellets don't get wet, they're in a rain proof feeder and I bring them in every night - always check them. Their coop is vented adequately too. It's large and airy enough so that the air isn't damp/stale in there. I've noticed she's the smallest bird though, but bar that seems fine. Doesn't seem to be any other signs of her being ill - I tend to check them over most days whilst I handle them... she seems to enjoy life at the mo!

Comment

(It was made with water too, not milk)

Comment

It sounds like she may just have a slight cold - chickens do get them - and should be over it in a few days. If it doesn't go away and the breathing gets heavy or rattley and she starts producing lots of snot then she may have a respiratory infection of some sort and it may be worth getting a vet to check her out. In the meantime you can put garlic in the water for a few days to boost her (crush a fresh clove or two and drop it in the drinker).

Comment

Ah, thanks will do. I've a load of garlic left over that I was going to plant, that'll do

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X