Roosting bar !!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosting bar !!!

Hi all i was wondering if i should make a roosting bar for my chooks, they have one inside the coop, should there be one outside for them to roost??
    any info would be great,
    regards wayne

Why, do they roost outside ever?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Some birds DO and some birds DON'T! Roost outside that is, we find that certain breeds seem to like to roost outside, our Leghorns, LS and Speckeldies do and the hybrids that are not in arks and have the opportunity to roost outside seem to prefer their houses. Having said that we had a batch of 14 week old in the paddock and their electric compound was a bit to close to the hedge and they all wanted to roost in it!! we had to go around late at night and collect them all up! What fun.

Comment

When i say roost,i meant somewhere to perch during daylight hours, ie off the ground, in our lovely weather conditions
        regards wayne

Comment

I have various size logs some resting on each other, straw bales (under cover), tyres, upside down dog beds, wooden boxes, pallets, old chair and wheelbarrow both upended and even an unused compost bin as perches and shelters in my runs.

Comment

Yes, definately put an outside perch up. Mine have three to choose from and there are always a few on them snoozing in the sun or preening during the day.

They will enjoy a variety of things to jump up and down on. Get creative!

Polo

Comment

I've different sized branches stacked securely too

Comment

Mine have a branch as a perch. It's about a foot off the ground - you wouldn't think it was worth going on but they do - and they like to be top hen!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yes definitely give them something to sit on. At this time of year when pens are often wet and muddy they like to get off the ground. Piles of logs and branches are great things for the chooks to climb and jump on. Gives them a bit more entertainment too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, great website, perch will be built tomorrow
                    wayne

Comment

I have one outside for my girls, and they do on the odd occasion roost on it, but never overnight, I think its a good idea as it gives them more options where to ' hangout ' My three girls huddle up together on it and before I put the bark down in their coup it got them up out of the mud.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X