Egg query

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg query

I've been reading recently about salmonella - as I'd heard that if it's going to be in/on an egg.. it'll be on the shell - so searching around I found a site that mentions that in the states eggs are washed in a detergent before being sold.

Does anyone know if that happens here? Doesn't that wash the protective layer that I've seen RH mention that the egg is laid with? Does this shorten the life of the egg?

I know that salmonella is very rare on eggs.. but should it be a worry eating your own eggs if you're pregnant/elderly/a baby? Is it worth dipping them in boiling water first (have seent his mentioned in a pregnancy book... but I'm not pregnant - just wondering!)

Planning on giving some eggs to my granny, and don't want to cause her self to cock her toes up

Allllllllllllso - last one... how do you order your eggs, according to when they were laid? As I've only 1 laying currently it takes a few days to build up a decent amount to make an omelette/scrambled egg/whatever dish - if she starts to lay sporadically over the winter, say once a week do you mark on a calender - or can you write on the egg shell with something? if so, what do you write on the shell with - that won't cause the internal egg any harm.

Son writes the date on the eggshell with a felt tip pen (non permanent)

Comment

I don't wash shells unless they are very dirty - and then only just before I use them. I write on them with pencil (I now know which hen has laid each egg so they get named as well as dated!)
      They I put them in my Eggskelter and take out the bottom one each time.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Flummery; 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've eaten, sold, given away eggs for the past thirty years or so and have never had a problem. I've fed them to my babies, grandchildren, old Ma and Fa, old uncle Tom Cobleigh and all and never poisoned a one of them so I shouldn't worry about it.
        As for which egg to use first, I have a large earthenware hen with a lid. We take eggs from her bottom and put new ones at her head.
        You could do something similar with a dish. Or you could pencil the date on your eggs.
        Eat your eggs and enjoy them!!

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Son writes the date on the eggshell with a felt tip pen (non permanent)
          Yep, me too

Comment

Can't answer all the 'sensible' questions, but I write the date (just '11' for today), in pencil, and keep them in date order. The eggs for sale go on an egg tray, and then get boxed up as required, using the oldest first. The oversize eggs go on the 'EggSkelter' in the kitchen, for us to use. Any cracked or damaged ones go in a little dish, when there's 3 or 4, they get scrambled and fed back.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Auntie Flum, are they small eggs, or is that a large Skelter? My eggs are too fat to roll down my Skelter!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Ah, pencil - that's a good idea.. i don't have a felt tip (got rid, after the little one drew all over our brand new cream sofa ).

Comment

They are smaller than the current ones. They laid slightly smaller eggs when they first stated laying. They now lay larger eggs but sort of longer rather than fatter if you get me drift. They roll down fine. It's a standard skelter - you can get ones for bantie eggs,

Comment

Are they just kept in the kitchen Flummery? I quite like the look of that and would prefer to keep the eggs out of the fridge (esp for boiled eggs/baking - you don't always remember to take them out to allow them to get to room temp first).

Comment

Yes, it lives on the kitchen counter next to the fridge. Never had one go off yet - but we do eat or give them away quite quickly.

Comment

Pencil is fine for writing on egg shells, unless you are putting them in waterglass, in which case use colouring pencil (doesn't wash off as readily).
                        Only wash dirty eggs, yes it does spoil the keeping quality (but if they are messy with anything moist, that doesn't help the keeping either) and best not to sell those eggs, and if giving them to family wash just before giving, with a drop of Dettol or similar in the water and tell the person to use them soon.
                        If they will come clean 'dry' they are as good as clean ones.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

im using the same method as flummery,the eggskelter is the best way to keep them in order,never there long enough to be worried about freshness...nothing beats egg and chips after working in the garden...plus some bread and butter and of course,a big mug of fresh tea....bliss....just had a call from mate down road, local windspeed tonight so far is 67mph,that will clear the cobwebs..

Comment

Couple more queries!

Those egg skelters - I've been looking - and a lot of the pictures have the eggs laying on their sides.. I thought eggs kept better if stored pointy side down (why is this, if it's true?) (looking at these pics here: egg skelter - Google Product Search)

Next up - I notice it's difficult to crack eggs when they're fresh.. it seems as if the membrane beneath the shell is tough. Is this normal? I've been having to crack the egg, then peirce the membrane with a knife point.

Aaaaaand finally.. for the past week we've been getting two eggs a day, one is really pale in comparison; just wondering which may have laid this - I've a light sussex, and a magpie (no idea what cross this is.. it looks like a black rock, but instead of a browny neck it has a silver/grey one). She's squatting when I stroke her (sometimes).. the LS is coming around to me now, but her gap between pevlic bones seems larger than the magpies.

pic attached

Thanks!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

I put mine in the skelter on its side with its nose down, if you see what I mean. This means that when they roll down they don't roll evently so I have to tip them all again. However, I prefer this as I like the big end up - it's to do with the air pocket.

The eggs I get are usually strong shelled but I can manage to crack them without needing a knife - it might depend on breed?
                              You soon get to know who lays which egg. If you have time to watch them, you can find out. For example, one day I collected 3 eggs - still one to come. I watched who went in and laid later on. Eventually you have them sussed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X