Moved Sid Vicious today!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved Sid Vicious today!

Wor Sid is my Silver Sussex cockerel. I decided to move him into the greenhouse today with five new laydees as company.

My thinking behind this is that my two young cockerels who were with the Laydees prior to this wouldn't leave them alone and as they were all brothers and sisters it just didn't seem right. With Sid out of the way I can billet the two cockerels with his harim of 10 ISA Browns.

Anyway, back to Sid. I donned some leather gauntlets because I know what he's like. Threw some corn down to get him and his Laydees together then pounced...........cripes what a scafuffle, finished up grabbing him by the tail and him trying to have a go at me. When I finally collared his neck and got him in my arms he was giving my gauntlets a good old trouncing, without them I would have been covered in blood! Carried him with my head loking backwards or else he would have went for my eyes and put him in the greenhouse with the hens.
    Went out and came back with some pellets and if the dammed thing didn't fly at me again and have another go!

God I love that cockerel, he's such a spunky bugger that I wasn't going to breed from him but I think I will now.
    He's so gentle with his Laydees, always stands back and lets them have the best bits of food, will protect them and himself to the death, keeps himself spotlessly clean, weighs a ton and is a truly handsome specimen.

Out of all the hens and cockerels I've ever had, it's only him I would shed a tear for if I lost him!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Asbo is the same! That's the only reason he's still breathing. Well, that and the fact I promised RedThorn I wouldn't eat him! I'm now planning to have baby Asbos next year, if nothing else, the fellas should turn out to be a decent sized lunch!

Got any recent piccies of Sid?
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Aww, I've got a Sid Vicious too, and his sister Nancy! he's the softest smallest featheriest legged bantam you could ever imagine. He was returned from a new home ebcause the lady bantams all bullied him! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        ...he was giving my gauntlets a good old trouncing, without them I would have been covered in blood! ... he would have went for my eyes ... the dammed thing didn't fly at me again and have another go!
        Vicious thing!

To divert the thread only a little, my conure (parrot) is of just the same temperament.
        He throws himself at the bars of his cage when I come near, to get me. He pulls my hair if I get too close, and if you let him, he will bite you down to the bone

Yet if I can get him out of his cage (his territory) he is all cuddles & snuggles.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Anyway, back to Sid. I donned some leather gauntlets because I know what he's like. Threw some corn down to get him and his Laydees together then pounced...........cripes what a scafuffle, finished up grabbing him by the tail and him trying to have a go at me. When I finally collared his neck and got him in my arms he was giving my gauntlets a good old trouncing, without them I would have been covered in blood! Carried him with my head loking backwards or else he would have went for my eyes and put him in the greenhouse with the hens.
          Went out and came back with some pellets and if the dammed thing didn't fly at me again and have another go!

Out of all the hens and cockerels I've ever had, it's only him I would shed a tear for if I lost him!

Is there any reason why you didn't just move him at night? They are all quiet then, even the maniac ones! It's far less stressful for both bird and human that way.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
            Is there any reason why you didn't just move him at night? They are all quiet then, even the maniac ones! It's far less stressful for both bird and human that way.
            Because I was moving three cockerels into new enviroments I wanted to be there to watch them after they were moved. Sid seemed to setttle straight away but the other two still didn't seem to be mixing with their new harim, to the point I had to introduce them to each other rather than just wait for them to find the hole in the fence I had created between their respective runs.
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post

.......................Got any recent piccies of Sid?
              I'll see what I can do.......was going to take his piccie anyway!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just for Glutton4! Sid in all his glory with his new laydees in the greenhouse.
                First piccie he didn't mind posing for, second one he looked at me as if to say "If you flash that flaming camera once more I'll rip it from your hand and probably take your hand with it!
                Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wow! Even his comb looks angry!

Comment

Cor...what a proud looking lad!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      Cor...what a proud looking lad!
                      I'd like to say he's a big softie really...but he's not! Still a fantastic animal and my pride and joy though!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

WOW, Snadge - attitude, or what. OK mine's green and gold, but notice a likeness!!!?
                        Attached Files

Comment

WOW, Snadge - attitude, or what. OK mine's green and gold, but notice a likeness!!!?
                          Very much so Glutton, he's a really nice bird you've got there. Is he Siver Sussex also? (God I would hate to see what would happen if these two ever met up!)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Very much so Glutton, he's a really nice bird you've got there. Is he Siver Sussex also? (God I would hate to see what would happen if these two ever met up!)
                            Nope! Black Rock x Araucana. Beautiful, but mean, nasty and violent!

Comment

Nope! Black Rock x Araucana. Beautiful, but mean, nasty and violent!
                              Now lets see, Arucana's (was it black or mauve?) are compatively small but vicious, (Always remind me of attacking crows) Black rock is a RIR and Plymouth Rock cross both of which are big birds but not sure of there temperament?.but blackrocks are renowned for drawing blood!
                              I have other cockerels also and he is very reminicent of my Faverolle...i'll see if I can find a piccie of him!
                              Last edited by Snadger; 15-11-2010, 08:31 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X