Straw Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straw Question

At the minute am using straw as a bedding in the nest box and put it down in the rest of the house too, just wondering what everyone else does or uses in their hen houses ?

I use Hemcore
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
    Bob

Comment

Straw isn't very absorbant, Hemcore or Easibed is better. My supplier has just ditched Hemcore in favour of chopped hemp which is darker is colour, so not as easy to poo pick, but feels smooth. I understand red mites can hide inside straw too.

The new stuff isn't hemp it's rape stalks
      Last edited by elizajay; 19-11-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Ours have a good sprinkling of diatom powder, with a thick Hemcore or Aubios layer, and whilst it's cold a layer of hay/straw mix on top.

The stray is howked out every other day and changed for clean stuff just in case the hay bits moulder. Any poo sits on the stray layer nicely and is picked up easily.

Jules
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

When I bred pedigree bunnies, I started off using a good quality straw I used to use for bedding for my horse(. He used to eat it so it needed to be very decent stuff)

BUT- my bunnies regularly got mites from the straw which was no good...so I quickly moved onto dust free shavings. Consequently I automatically chose shavings for my chooks- and find it very easy to pick out the droppings in the morning.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Shavings (dust extracted) in the house, straw in the nestboxes for me..

Comment

I use wood shavings on the floors and soft hay in the nest boxes.

Comment

Hemp bedding - nice and pale in colour so you can see the poo - which becomes abosorbed into nice dry, dark lumps. It also composts down a treat.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  Hemp bedding - nice and pale in colour so you can see the poo - which becomes abosorbed into nice dry, dark lumps. It also composts down a treat.
                  Just reading about this - Hemp Technology Ltd: Products - Hemcore Animal Bedding - do you water it down, or is that only for such large animals like horses?

Comment

When we had chooks, I never used anything on the floor of the house apart from either sheets of newspaper or enough sawdust to make cleaning out a bit easier, and when the house floor was easy to clean anyway, I didn't bother. They don't need 'bedding' because they aren't meant to sleep on the floor.
                    In the nestbox, straw or shavings but shavings were not always available. Hemcore etc were not well known (if available at all) that long ago.....
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                      Just reading about this - Hemp Technology Ltd: Products - Hemcore Animal Bedding - do you water it down, or is that only for such large animals like horses?
                      I don't wet it, no. Mine isn't actually hemcore - it's an unmarked brand!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I use lots of newspaper underneath the perches and shredded paper in the nestboxes (i get it free from the school)
                        Newspaper is really easy to clear put- just gather up.

Comment

I use hemcore and no I don't water it
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Thin layer of shavings under the perches (just enough to absorb any wet from the poo) and either shavings or straw in nestboxes depending on hens preference - I have some that will scratch out straw but tolerate shavings.

Comment

Straw or shredded paper in nestboxes........nothing on wooden floor!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X