injured chook

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injured chook

just come back from a week in the uk looking after my mum, to find my poor cleo a little bit the worse for wear. My 13 yr daughter had already warned me, and it's only down to her unstinting attention and care that the poor chook is still alive. Apparently the day i left for the airport, my eldest son forgot to close up my chicken munching dog before opening the run for a spot of free range my daughter heard a terrific hullabaloo and found sox, my tiny silky cockerel on the dogs head pecking him ferociously, the dog had his jaws clamped round cleo. what a brave cockerel my daughter managed to rescue the hen and immediately treated her two deep puncture wounds (one on top behind her wing and one under between legs towards chest) by irrigating with iodine. Although no visible damage to her leg that side she's still quite lame and apparently her leg was stuck straight out stiff behind her for a short while after the attack. Whilst I was away she bathed her everyday before school, taking her out of the roosting house and keeping her in a dry box of straw in the run, and at night bringing her into the kitchen to feed and drink and do her wound then put her into bed. What dedication for a child now one week on she has a massive black scab on her back, she's not laying but she's eating and comb is red. Is there anything more we should know or do please? She's never not laid, will she get eggbound? what should I watch for? poor Cleo, needless to say the dog is not my favourite person again....

She won't get egg bound. Chickens stop laying if they have suffered shock, let her get well again and just wait it out. It make take a few more days or weeks/months even depending on the chicken.

Comment

Oh dear What a brave cock though! Crazy! Hope she pulls through fine.

Comment

Try giving her something like Poultry spice (Epice de poulet!!!) just to help boost her up a bit.
        And well done Sox!

Comment

Sounds like your daughter has done a fantastic job!

...and well done Sox!

I'm sure Cleo will slowly return to normal with the same care. Poor lass.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cleo isn't brilliant she looks so miserable and although she will peck about in a half hearted way, its as if her little light has just gone out.Before her attack she was extremely confident; happy and independent, i know this sounds a bit loopy as we are talking hens here, but i find their personalties so strong and individual, just like any other creature and they are far from stupid. Anyway i think she's in pain, i picked her up to check the wound today as we have stopped cleaning now that it's fully scabbed.There is a hard thing protruding from the scab, very hard, I hope it is a broken quill and not a rib or something that's ten days now and she is walking a little bit more and getting in and out of the house. I make sure that her crop is nice and full everyday as she must be colder than normal... will try to find something to perk her up(poultry spice, but here in france they'll think it's a roasting thing i want to buy!! anyway, will keep you posted...

Comment

After 10 days I think even a vet would be reluctant to do anything if it is a broken bone. However, it sounds like you and your daughter have done everything possible to get her well again. Hopefully it is just shock, and she'll gradually get better. If you can get hold of poultry spice, it can work wonders, or Vermex make something called 'Keep Well', which you might find easier to get hold of.

Comment

Oh i hope she pulls through. Well done sox and your daughter - she sounds great with animals x

Comment

If you can't find anything like spice over here , and you'd like to try a bit with her, I'll pop some of mine in the post to you if you pm me your address.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

ooh that would be so nice! how kind!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X