Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• housebound hens!

hi all,

does anyone else out there let there chickens in the house during this cold weather at all? i let them in my kitchen and dining room where they cosy up and have treats inside when i am home. for about half an hour at a time and only when its wet or really cold like now.

do you think they could come dependent on it, is this a bad idea??? what do you all think?

x

No I don't, but if they were allowed to they would be in like a shot, probably eating everything in sight.

It's probably not a good idea to let them come in for very long, as the temperature fluctuations between your warm house and the cold outside may affect them. A sheltered dry area outside such as an old shed or barn where they can get under cover is the best place for them. The low temperatures are not as horrible for birds as you may think, it's the wet weather they don't like, and snow underfoot.

We woke up to snow this morning (in fact it started last night) and when I let the chickens out today the old ones who had seen it all before came out as usual but all the youngsters hatched since last winter did the " whats that stuff, I'm not going out there" routine.

Comment

Angelat, it really isn't a good idea!! they are chicken, as RH says the flutuating temperature will effect them, imagine if you were in a cosy house and then expected to go and sit in the garden, they will be softened and will suffer from colds and sneezes.
      Also they really shouldn't be in your dining room, they can carry such things as salmonella and campylobacter and should not be around food preparation.
      If they are out in the frost and snow having been in what for them is an unaturally warm environment, that is when they can get frost bitten combs. They do not feel the cold as we do, if you imagine the little wild birds they fluff up to keep warm. they are much more likely to suffer from overheating.

Comment

I'd not let mine in the house, the little bu**ers would be into everything, and dropping little 'parcels' everywhere which the dogs would then tramp about in, or eat. I'd build them a little open fronted shelter outside if you are worried about them. That way they can be outdoors but under cover, enjoy the sunshine, but be out of the wind and rain - I have a guinea pig house for this, from freecycle, so cost me nowt but petrol. I think if they are well fed and healthy they'll just fluff up and get on with it!
        JM
        Last edited by jessmorris; 30-11-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I have had to dig my girls a path in the run for the last 3 days , so today i put them in the green house for the best part of the day, made a roosting area and filled a corner with straw, its easier to feed them in there too, but put them back in their hen house for bed tonight, will probably have to do this over the next wee while till the snow melts. I would not be keen to let them in the house because of the poo problem it would pose. However each to their own : ) .

Comment

I'd love it - I could play with them. But they are tough little things and can cope with the cold. Better for them to get on with it I think. They get pellets mixed with hot water first thing when the weather's so bad - and I stir in a few raisins or mealworms and a sprinkle of poultry spice so they have something exciting to do first thing!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I probably would if I only had three or four, but I have about forty!

So NO!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I let my girls out... well I open their enclosure!

The 2 hand reared chicks (19 weeks) are like kids in the snow, they cant wait to get out the snow comes up to the top of their legs but the dont care.... the other more wiser girls just sit on the edge of the door way watching!

All my girls are fine and 2 or 3 are still laying
                Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

No - I wouldnt let them in the house as a rule. My house is just that - mine! The cats would probably get upset too bless them.

Having said that I have had two ill hens in the corner of the kitchen overnight. They were barricaded in so they didnt wander and drop poo everywhere!!

Polo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X