Not eating?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not eating?

It's very odd.... my hens and ducks don't seem to be eating very much at all

Previously, we were going through about 4 or 5kg a day with them (8 large ducks, 18 chickens, incl 7 cockerels), plus the grass/weeds/forage that there was left; however, since it's started to get really frosty, they've hardly been eating.

They've got the polytunnel as part of their run, which is usually about 5 degrees higher temperature than outside; so half their food and water is in there (as it doesn't freeze). There's not much left outside that isn't completely frozen; and although they're getting extra greens etc in a morning, I can't see it filling them up instead of food.

I'm still getting eggs (off those who are choosing to lay) and everyone seems happy enough (except for the fact that it hasn't got above freezing for a week!)

Just to say that, in comparison, my 8 turkeys are polishing off 6kg of food a day!

How do you manage it OWG!!! My girls are eating me out of house and home! I seem to be filling the feeders all the time.

Comment

praps they'd prefer to hibernate, personally i have to fight the instinct everyday!!!

Comment

I think we should hibernate! we could eat all summer and put on as much weight as we like, sleep when the weather is horrid, wake up in the spring all skinny and gorgeous, then repeat

Comment

Originally posted by motherhen View Post
          I think we should hibernate! we could eat all summer and put on as much weight as we like, sleep when the weather is horrid, wake up in the spring all skinny and gorgeous, then repeat
          total agreement!!

Comment

Yay - like the Moomins (tho' I think they fattened themselves on pine needles which might not be so nice!)

Comment

Mine don't eat so much from their feeder in this weather but they are getting pellets mixed with hot water first things so I suspect they eat about the same amount.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mine are being such wusses that I have had to move the feeder into the greenhouse where they are all sheltering so they can eat - they won't even venture the 4 foot or so across the snow to get under the coop to eat!!

Soft I say..

Polo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X