Indulgent hen pics!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indulgent hen pics!

Being new to this hen lark and rather excitable, I just thought I'd share a few pics of my girls
    Humour me please, it will pass

The good news is, the little white Jack Russell, despite finding her way into the run and eating their corn is still in one piece! Indeed, tolerated I would say
    Attached Files

Aww...they're lovely!!

I have to ask though...does the brown one have a deformed beak??( I had a twisty beak one which ended up having to be hand fed...ended up ever so tame!)
    If it is a bit deformed, keep an eye on her weight
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think two of them have undershot beaks. Eating fine at the mo though. Will keep an eye on them. Thanks!

Comment

in the summer our birds and daft spaniel shared the dust bowl area,bellies to the sun,cant get the hang of getting snaps onto grapevine though..

Comment

Awww, lovely piccies. The cuckoo/speckledy is the double of mine!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

She is very distinctive the cuckoo type one (Betty). Reminds me of a little dinosaur.
            I was most surprised to see them quite happy with the dog in there, she is smaller than them though. Dust bath should be fun then

Been out to check and it is just Ruby with a funny beak, not twisted but undershot, if it gets worse as she grows or she has any probs I'll get her mended. She's such a friendly little girl and our only egg layer so far

Comment

OK Ladies and Gentlemen (yeah right! ) of the Vine. Who's taking bets on how long before Vixfinn gets more Chooks!!!?
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Lovely girls. I'd really watch it with the terrier though. They might tolerate him ok but if he gets spooked or excited, it's in his nature to attack. I'd hate it to end in tears.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Very rare she's out there alone with them but will watch her closely

Comment

Your blue is the spit of my molly, although I can see her face!) We call her the gentle giant.

G4 im going to say Vixfinn will have another 2 by the time spring is out!
                    Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                    Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                    FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

The beaks will have been clipped at the hatchery. All the laying hybrids have their beaks clipped as they are reared in fairly intensive conditions. Its to prevent them damaging each other - easier than giving them more space.
                      The up side is they grow back to look "normal".
                      I agree wth Flum too - I'd make it NEVER to let the dog out there alone with them. My allotment neighbour has 2 terriers both brought up with hens and never touched them until one day when he had some young Speckled Sussex (all his others were white) and the dogs killed the lot and he was right there but with his back turned. Heart breaking if it's preventable.
                      Last edited by Suechooks; 17-12-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I will keep you updated if I should fulfil your predictions re: the more hens in the spring

Didn't realise the beaks were clipped at the Hybrid farm, wasn't mentioned but then I didn't see the little ones roaming around outside

Comment

I think a lot of retailers buy in the hybrids from the big hatcheries which is where the beaks are clipped. They're hatched in tens of thousands and huge numbers go into battery cages and barns.

Comment

Great pictures - reminds me of my white when she was new and spotless! She enjoys grubbing around in the muck to stay that colour.

I reckon a another couple of hens in spring...

Comment

Ive got a Border terrier who has been brought up with my chooks and so far hasn't chased them however she will chase other peoples chickens if not kept in check.

Saying that tho if the chickens get spooked and start running around so does she and then she is likely to do them some damage. Never full trust a dog around your hens, I had two of my girls killed by a neighbours dog it was really upsetting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X