They don't seem to like it!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't seem to like it!

My hens won't come out of their coop... have resorted to asking the mrs to put the feeder in there so they'll get some grub at least!

Anyone elses not like it?

Chuck 'em out, toughen 'em up! Mine are out playing in the snow, and skating on the Goose's ice pond!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Yeah, I've chucked some of mine out as I had to do a mucking out round, which took much longer than normal because the poo was all frozen and stuck on. Mind you, as soon as the houses were finished they went back inside again, little wussies. The Orpingtons are all out though, they obviously have so much fluff they don't feel it that much.

Also had to go into a couple of houses via the roof early this am as the pop holes had frozen shut and I couldn't free them. Picture me in nightie and coat and wellies hefting mega huge indian game cock out of the house via the roof and into the snow.

Comment

they will be fine as long as they stay dry,scatter some corn for them,it wont take long for them to get used to looking for the corn,the problem then will be holding them back,i found that one last year,in all the ice....

Comment

LOL RH!!!!!!!
          My hybrids won't come down the ramp till I've brushed the snow off! One of them came rushing out chuntering this morning and before I'd cleaned out had laid me a lovely egg!

Comment

My youngest 2 will happily play in it all the time it is not as deep as them! The others are more wary but they have a roof on the enclosure so they still can get out of their coop. They were all playing nicely today until it actually started falling from the sky... then they all took cover under the tree. WIMPS
            Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
            Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
            FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

This year all my birds have got the polytunnel as well.... it's a few degrees warmer than actual outside; so most of the hens congregate in there.

Every morning, I go and chuck them all out, then I do the food and water, and realise they've all gone back in again...

The cockerels seem not to mind the cold, neither do the Barnevelders...

Of course, the ducks absolutely love it! They have a lovely house, and several field shelters, but would still rather sit on their frozen pond, or sit on the frozen grass - weirdos!

Comment

Mine don't like it at all, and they're moulting and off lay too.
                Urban Escape Blog

Comment

MIne are getting used to it now. would rather be outside than in though.

RH - Glad I'm no the only one out there in pj's every morning!

Polo

Comment

Me too, but decided to get dressed 1st today as the snow was thick enough for me to need wellies and I don't like wellies without socks.
                    Last edited by elizajay; 18-12-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by polo View Post
                      MIne are getting used to it now. would rather be outside than in though.

RH - Glad I'm no the only one out there in pj's every morning!

Polo
                      I go out in nightie and dressing gown all year round, in most weathers (I roll out of bed and go straight out of the house, I'm a bit barmy i think) with coat on top when cold. If really mild have been known to go out in just the nightie - got caught by the water meter reader once who got a shock as I was bending over a chick coop at the time ...........

Comment

Lol:hilarious!!
                        Last edited by petal; 18-12-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Mine get upset if they aren't allowed out of the run, even when it is -2C as it is now. Still had to use the mealworm trick to get them in again just now.
                          The cats' valet.

Comment

I've just been out with corn, and those that were in came running out. They looked at the corn laying in the snow, and half of them went back in.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Bit worried about the girls tonight.

Like Glutton, just been out to give them a handful of corn and lock them up. The door was frozen open - needed a good whack to get it moving.

The thermometer says -5 and dropping. Hope they are ok - wondering if they need some additional insulation of some sort?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X