going strong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
    Sell bantams as "salad eggs" or even "diet eggs" to help the New Year dieters!
    How about 'baby eggs' - they try that on with small veg! Saw packs of 2 cabbage hearts - they sort you have left when you've pulled off the outer leaves because they've been on the shelf for too long - sold at £1.75 for 'baby cabbage' - people will buy anything!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

my "local " greengrocer sells me cabbages and carrots he knows are for the chooks,and takes them from the shelf that has a lot higher price on it,when i asked,he said he couldnt charge top price for "chook food",could you see a supermarket doing that ?,so i walk past said supermarket and always shop at the "local".....

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
        my "local " greengrocer sells me cabbages and carrots he knows are for the chooks,and takes them from the shelf that has a lot higher price on it,when i asked,he said he couldnt charge top price for "chook food",could you see a supermarket doing that ?,so i walk past said supermarket and always shop at the "local".....
        with the warmer weather (ignoring last weeks 70+mph winds) we are now getting anaverage of 7/8 out of 10 each day,and on 2 days we have had 10 out of 10,that means OH has been baking /cooking like mad,not going to up sales until they settle down to regular numbers....slightly off theme,our daughter was cooking a fry up for her husband,used one shopbought egg then one of ours,what a difference in yoke colour,one nearly white and ours a good orange colour,so now he doesnt want anymore shop eggs,another convert to freerange,good colour and great taste..

Comment

Indeed - I saw an advert for Mr Kipling last night, saying they now only used free range eggs in their cakes.. gross to think I was support battery farm if I fancied some apple pies quickly!

But yes, I've done similar... haven't bought a shop egg since last October, had a fried egg sarnie for lunch yesterday - woweeeeeeee - not had one of my own eggs fried yet, luberly thick yolk! - anyway, compared one to a "free range" egg at mother in laws a while back when making an omelete - boy the difference is shocking.. Iknow there's the different meaning of free range in legal terms, but my 'garden range' eggs blow the socks off them, and for that matter, organic eggs - shop bought, too!

And at 5p/each, and a weekly clean out - bargain!

Comment

I used to work for Mr Kipling in my student days - holiday job. It was ages before I could face a shop cake again! Never buy them, make my own.

Comment

Shame I don't live that bit closer then Flum do you deliver? hehe

Comment

No, but I did start a Cake Club in the village a couple of years ago. We meet for a morning coffee session in the village hall once a month and 3 of us bake a cake. (Taking turns). We pay 50p and get as much cake and tea/coffe as we want and it covers the cost of hiring the hall. Usually 20 - 25 people turn up. We donate the cakes but lots of laydees (and a couple of chaps) my age enjoy baking but have not enough family left at home to eat it all. Good compromise - and even the dieters let go for one morning a month!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X