Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok - Advice Needed

Hi Folks,

Right I've flitted in and out of conversations about wanting chickens, making my own house, yadda yadda yadda.

Where I am now is I can just about afford the house in the link below.

Would appreciate expert advice on this house along with the following:-

I have a 6 year old staffy, bitch, as far as she is concerned she is second in the pack, therefore above my wife and 2 sons

We have loads of foxes

Am I being silly to even consider this?

Chicken House - RS 709S | Poultry Housing | | Rabbit Hutches, Chicken Coops & Multi-Purpose Animal Housing from Wilkinson Plus
    Cheers

Danny

I think at the least you'd have to put weldmesh/paving under the house to stop foxes digging in and a lock on the nest box lid. Not sure how sturdy it looks, hard to tell from the photo even with the zoom - if the wire's not thick enough they might be able to bite through it....You'll just have to strenghen it a little against foxes, dogs and children!
    But it's not a crazy idea!
    ....How does the OH feel about being behind the dog in the pecking order?

Comment

Have you priced up buying some weldmesh and timber online? Will they ever be out of that run?

If you did go for that, I'd sight it on paving slabs, with a good lip of slap around (probably one slab all the way around at least) - to stop foxes digging under it. Not ideal for a chicken so you'd need to put down something to scratch about in.

I'm sure you've red about roofing felt and mites, so that's a consideration to bear in mind about that house too.

Have you checked this link out too? Building a Fox-Proof Poultry Run

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
        I think at the least you'd have to put weldmesh/paving under the house to stop foxes digging in and a lock on the nest box lid. Not sure how sturdy it looks, hard to tell from the photo even with the zoom - if the wire's not thick enough they might be able to bite through it....You'll just have to strengthen it a little against foxes, dogs and children!
        But it's not a crazy idea!
        ....How does the OH feel about being behind the dog in the pecking order?
        Thanks for the comments Vicky,

Was gonna line the outside with slabs to stop outsiders digging in!

Would assume the wire should be fox proof anyway but can always double up.

As for Al being behind Stella in the order she just laughs, at the end of the day I feed her, walk her, tickle her, so it's understandable really?

Sometime I look after the dog as well
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

I would say re dogs - never leave your dog alone with the chickens out; when they are in the run, don't let her antagonise them by barking, jumping, headbutting the mesh etc.

I'm not a big believer in 'pack theory' - she is a dog and you are humans; therefore there isn't a pack!
          Generally, chickens look like fluffy dog toys, and will flap around and make 'fun' noises, and even if she gets hold of one to 'play' with (with no actual malice intended) the chicken may die from shock.

You can teach her to 'leave' the birds alone; but I wouldn't ever trust her with them.

Comment

We have a 5 year old staffy who thought he was 2nd in the pack, again above the hubby and kids, he was renigated rather quickly when the chooks arrived! After they chased him up the garden and jumped on his back a few times, he generally avoids them if not tolerates them ( quite a funny scene,I have no probs leaving them alone together now)

As for a coop, we have just bought out 3rd on ebay for 99p! bargain! I know they are hard to come by but as long as they a safe, warm and dry and have their requirements they will be happy girlies.

As for foxes, we have a few around here but as we are in a built up area they would rather rummage through bins, the dog sees a few off and they rest just walk past!

Definately get some chooks, but be warned, when people say they are addictive....... they are sooooooooooooooo right!
            Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
            Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
            FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
              I would say re dogs - never leave your dog alone with the chickens out; when they are in the run, don't let her antagonise them by barking, jumping, headbutting the mesh etc.

I'm not a big believer in 'pack theory' - she is a dog and you are humans; therefore there isn't a pack!
              Generally, chickens look like fluffy dog toys, and will flap around and make 'fun' noises, and even if she gets hold of one to 'play' with (with no actual malice intended) the chicken may die from shock.

You can teach her to 'leave' the birds alone; but I wouldn't ever trust her with them.
              Most house-dogs consider the humans they live with to be odd-looking dogs (if they didn't have some such notion, we wouldn't be able to teach them our rules), and therefore the DOG thinks there is a pack, so 'pack hierarchy' does have to be applied to some extent. The vital point is that the dog knows it is not pack leader, and each human has to get his/her place in the dog's respect for themselves, A cannot teach the dog that B is 'senior'.
              If the dog also comes to see the chooks as 'odd looking dogs in my pack', then you can teach him to treat them with respect, but it will never be foolproof!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

have you looked on Ebay they are quite a bit cheaper I bought one exactly the same houses my Barbles CHICKEN COUP, HEN, COOP, POULTRY, ARK, LARGE , FL1 on eBay (end time 15-Jan-11 13:55:53 GMT)

Comment

I've had the same chicken "house" for nearly a year now and as you do I've changed it a bit.

First off;

It comes "flat pack" so you can paint every bit with creocoat before you put it together.

While it's still flat pack add a second (internal) layer of mesh to keep out Mr F.Ox & his smaller "yappy" relations.

Add a layer on the base when you've put it together (it's heavy) and set it on pavers.

The nest box base on mine was a few timber slats that just droped into the "hole", one quick trip to B&Q for some 1/4" ply and the nest box is sorted (put the slats on top of the ply add more creocoat & trim the top off the nest divider or the lid won't close).

Make sure you get one with the bar to close & open the door to the roost from the outside and the slideout tray at the bottom of the roost, it makes cleaning loads easier, there are still some older versions being sold that don't have these.

Put padlocks on all the doors, ASDA do some little brass ones for £1.00 and the key pretty much fits all the locks.

You can add extensions as you go along , make sure you add mesh inside and out.

Add lots of straw to the nest box and firm it down, not so much to the roost and chopped hemp in the run.

Introduce no more than three (it's not that big) egg laying "machines" and enjoy!

They grow on you (slowly) and a nine egg omlet, well that's another story!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X