Wrinkly egg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrinkly egg

Had one the other day, subsequent eggs from the bird have been fine. I read on here a while ago that it's common from battery birds (mine aren't) - just wondering what causes this, in terms of very few occurances. The egg was slightly misshapen - sort of tapering up off the axil of a norma egg too.

All birds seem healthy, happy and have a good mixed diet on top of their layers (i.e whatever they can destroy in my garden ).

Hi I used to get them all the time from my blackrock - they were usually bigger eggs. I don't think it means there is a problem ) I think of it as a large one they had trouble squeezing out, so it went wrinkly! lol

Comment

Absolutely nothing wrong with them..they're sold here on the market alongside 'normal' eggs for exactly the same price!
      I thought it was something to do with older hens.

Unusual to look at eh???
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yeah, really odd. Funny how the UK supermarkets don't have them for sale mind, eh?

Comment

A one off egg is nothing to worry about, it can be a sign of shock, like soft shells, but if a bird lays them regularly then it is a sign that she has had infectious bronchitis, which settles in the reproductive system and can (and often does) affect the egg laying mechanism. The eggs are still OK to eat though.

Comment

Eep! She didn't lay today, so I'll have a chat with her in the morning to see if all is ok

Hope it's not that, as she's my favourite. Infectious - to humans or other chickens? Would it be treatable?

Comment

To other chickens Chris. It would have happened in the past, it doesn't mean she's got it now. Hybrids are vaccinated against it in hatchery. Occasionally battery hens have it - probably sub-clinical due to the conditions they exist in.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                Yeah, really odd. Funny how the UK supermarkets don't have them for sale mind, eh?
                I think this is because wrinkly egs crack more easily and they are not allowed to sell cracked eggs to the public, so the wrinkly ones get sent to the manufacturers of cakes and quiches to be on the safe side.
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X