Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-commercial Free-Rangers

Hello all,
    I'm new to this chicken keeping lark and have been offered some ex-free rangers.
    My question is, how old do they tend to be? What is the end of a free-rangers laying life? I know ex-bats are one year and I naively pressumed they would be the same, but are they?

Thanks for any help with this
    Www.chicorychildrenandchickens.wordpress.com

They'll have had a year of laying like the ex-batts probably. The supermarkets won't buy eggs from hens after their first season as the shells deteriorate in quality so don't travel as well. If they're from a commercial flock I'd think it'll be the same.

Comment

The ones we have were 18months old when we got them. They are warrens and are as friendly as anything. The main difference between them and battery chooks is that they have been outdoors.

they are got rid of at 18 months because the first year of laying gives the most eggs per year. The ones we have were saved from the same fate as battery hens - pies/nuggets/cat food or whatever.
      Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

My first lot were ex-Batts (Brown), my second lot were ex-Free Rangers (white). To me, that appears to be the only difference!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks guys, I had just pressumed that they were a year old because they're at the end of their commercial life.
          I'm soooooo excited! Going to see a coop tomorrow, it's a homemade jobbie, 6x4 to suit 10 hens they say. £125. Sounds alright?

Comment

Sounds not bad. I have an 8 x 6 shed with a bodged together run affair. When they are awake (12 in there) the shed looks quite full but at night they all squidge into a corner - around 2foot x 2foot!
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              The ones we have were 18months old when we got them. They are warrens and are as friendly as anything. The main difference between them and battery chooks is that they have been outdoors.

they are got rid of at 18 months because the first year of laying gives the most eggs per year. The ones we have were saved from the same fate as battery hens - pies/nuggets/cat food or whatever.
              Mine would go to the same fate. I called up to let them know I was interested if they got any in at the rescue centre and was told they knew of 100 that needed rehoming TOMORROW!!!!! Those that can't be rehomed will be slaughtered, so of course I said I'd have 10 As we're not completely ready for them yet a lady has agreed to keep them for a few weeks until we can take them.

Can't wait!

Comment

What's your setup? We live in a rural village and our garden backs on to fields. I, nor any of the neighbours has ever seen a fox and rubbish is never disturbed if left out. I know we should fox-proof, but is it enough to spread the wire from the sides of the run out over the ground surrounding it and weight it dow with rocks? Or do we HAVE to dig it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Poddington Pea View Post
                  What's your setup? We live in a rural village and our garden backs on to fields. I, nor any of the neighbours has ever seen a fox and rubbish is never disturbed if left out. I know we should fox-proof, but is it enough to spread the wire from the sides of the run out over the ground surrounding it and weight it dow with rocks? Or do we HAVE to dig it in?
                  I just have paving flags layed around mine and have had no bother from foxes digging in, even though others on our site have!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Where did you get them from? The BHWT?

Comment

Originally posted by Poddington Pea View Post
                      My son has foxes in his garden every night. He's put large rocks along his fence because the foxes have dug under. They manage to move the rocks over night even though I couldn't lift one.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                        Where did you get them from? The BHWT?
                        We have a local animal rescue centre, I think it's called 'Somerset and Dorset animal rescue'. A lady who works there put me in touch with another lady who regularly rescues and re-homes birds. I say 'rescue' they've had a good life really, but if they weren't rehomed they'd be slaughtered.

Is corn with oyster shell and grit mixed with it ok or is it best to heve the shell and grit separately?

Comment

Whenever I give mine corn, I add grit to it, usually a small handful to a larger handful of grit. Mine free range in garden though so have access to whatever they can find and are fed on layers pellets which contain everything (Inc grit) they need to lay. Extra corn I believe needs a bit of extra grit to help grind it up!

Just been lookin on the bhwt site- so sad I'd love to get involved and house them temp to rehome! Maybe when I win the lotto

Comment

It is sad. We'd planned on getting ex-bats, but these have come up and although they were happy chooks in their free range lives so far, they would die tomorrow if we didn't home them.
                            I was concerned that my son of 15 months may be scared of a featherless hen, so it's probably for the best that they're all feathery and not too nervous!

With regards to the corn. I'm planning on going to my local Mole Valley Farmers and can't find the individual stuff, but can find a corn/grit/oyster mix. I'll give it a go.

Comment

I have bowls of oyster shell and grit, and also spread some about on the ground. I buy separately as grit is very heavy but cheap so think if I buy mixed with corn I'm paying too much for grit. I might be wrong on this though so it's a matter of choice really.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X