Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs laid on mud

Would you eat these?

I shut my coop up, to stop my broody going in there - and one of them popped an egg out by the coop door in mud. It's been raining today and mud has splash all over the egg. Is it safe to eat (it was still warmish when I collected it - so I guess it was within the hr) or should I give it back to them as scrambled?

Thanks.

If the egg isn't cracked I'd eat it. The shell and membrane are protective. Don't clean the shell till you're ready to eat it.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I put mine on one side for scrambling or omletting for us.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Why would you not eat and egg laid outside its got a shell ?
        Alot of free range chickens lay thier eggs all over the place or am i missing something here ?

Comment

I just found a muddy nest hidden under a bench, one little blighter has laid 6 eggs in it (all the same girl). Did the water test on them to check they were fresh - washing them in the process - I don't have any problem eating them but I won't use them for gate sales.

Comment

Originally posted by tigress60 View Post
            Why would you not eat and egg laid outside its got a shell ?
            Alot of free range chickens lay thier eggs all over the place or am i missing something here ?
            Because the anti-bacterial coating the egg is coating in when laid would have still been wet when it went in the mud.. It could have been washed off.

I've a pregnant wife and young baby, which is why I'm cautious.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll keep it for my own use, rather than give it my family.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              Because the anti-bacterial coating the egg is coating in when laid would have still been wet when it went in the mud.. It could have been washed off.

I've a pregnant wife and young baby, which is why I'm cautious.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll keep it for my own use, rather than give it my family.
              Well i bow to your knowledge after reading hereI am amazed i know nothing
              Thank you for enlightening me

Comment

That site isn't loading for me, so I'm not sure how to take your post. If you thought I was having a go at you then please be assured I wasn't - I don't claim to be knowledgable about hens - I'm only a hobby keeper, with the eggs being the sole purpose of having them (although there's the obvious side benefits, such as their character and down right stupidness ).

I learnt from here than once the egg is laid, it's coated in a protective coating that keeps bacteria, etc from entering the shell. I wasn't aware of this until I read that - and it only really hit home when I picked up an egg, literally fresh out of the chickens backside - you can feel the coating, it's still sticky... which is why I was thinking if it's been laid in (wet) mud, then that may have washed off. As they poo all over the place, the chance of something nasty being in the watery mud is there, which is why I'm a bit hesitant about things like this (esp with a very early pregnant wife, and a young nipper to boot).

I'l try the site again later though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  I put mine on one side for scrambling or omletting for us.
                  Originally posted by vicky View Post
                  I just found a muddy nest hidden under a bench, one little blighter has laid 6 eggs in it (all the same girl). Did the water test on them to check they were fresh - washing them in the process - I don't have any problem eating them but I won't use them for gate sales.
                  Thanks - I don't sell the eggs (have given the odd few away, but with so few hens I don't often have surplus eggs to sell). Hadn't thought about the egg test, I'll bear that in mind. It doesn't happen a lot - first time was when they were free ranging any had just come into lay (found about 6 over the course of a week - they all had them fed back with the ground up shells after sterilising them though!)

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  If the egg isn't cracked I'd eat it. The shell and membrane are protective. Don't clean the shell till you're ready to eat it.
                  Yup, I don't wash/wipe the eggs (unless caked in poo) anymore - but as their kept in the fridge, this one can stay out. My kitchen is very warm though - it's either no heat, or hot hehe - hopefully once we've had the work done to the kitchen then they'll have a nice new home in an egg skelter!

Comment

That site isn't loading for me, so I'm not sure how to take your post. If you thought I was having a go at you then please be assured I wasn't - I don't claim to be knowledgable about hens - I'm only a hobby keeper, with the eggs being the sole purpose of having them (although there's the obvious side benefits, such as their character and down right stupidness ).

I learnt from here than once the egg is laid, it's coated in a protective coating that keeps bacteria, etc from entering the shell. I wasn't aware of this until I read that - and it only really hit home when I picked up an egg, literally fresh out of the chickens backside - you can feel the coating, it's still sticky... which is why I was thinking if it's been laid in (wet) mud, then that may have washed off. As they poo all over the place, the chance of something nasty being in the watery mud is there, which is why I'm a bit hesitant about things like this (esp with a very early pregnant wife, and a young nipper to boot).

I'l try the site again later though.
                    Ok - site has loaded up now finally - apologies I thought that you were being defensive/sarcastic.

Comment

Ok - site has loaded up now finally - apologies I thought that you were being defensive/sarcastic.
                      No not at all i am just amazed at the info on eggs never knew

Comment

Glad I was able to pass something I learnt on then

Comment

My rule with damp-dirty eggs is
                          1) use soon, and wash just before using (with Milton if you like)
                          2) cook really thoroughly
                          If you do this, they should be safe for anyone.
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X