Coop site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop site

Hi there been thinking bout keeping chickens for some time but only have a small lawn area and don't want them ruining that area can the coop be sited on a concrete / paved area ?

It can but you will need to provide something for the chickens to scratch in - a deep bed of wood chip is best. They need to be able to satisfy their natural instinct for scratching (looking for food) and have somewhere to dustbathe (to help rid themselves of external parasites although you will need to assist this by powdering them regularly with louse powder) so ideally put a roof on all or part of the run so the woodchip stays dry. Think very carefully about the space you have if your garden is very small and don't get more chickens than you can comfortably accommodate.

Comment

I would also go for hybrids they adapt better to being in a confined space, new keepers some times think that going for bantams is better because they are smaller so they need less space, not necessarily so. Most banties, have a slightly more nautral character and would be totally free and sleep in a tree if we could let them.
      Also if you want constant eggs, then hybrids would be a better bet as they tend not to go broody and will lay all winter because of the type of bird they are then they must be fed ad mash or pellets and no scraps or they will start to get behavioral problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
        It can but you will need to provide something for the chickens to scratch in - a deep bed of wood chip is best. They need to be able to satisfy their natural instinct for scratching (looking for food) and have somewhere to dustbathe (to help rid themselves of external parasites although you will need to assist this by powdering them regularly with louse powder) so ideally put a roof on all or part of the run so the woodchip stays dry. Think very carefully about the space you have if your garden is very small and don't get more chickens than you can comfortably accommodate.
        I do this and the girls are happy. Planning to let them out in the knot garden with me today as they are now coming to me all the time I open the run doors or when I scrubbed their house. Very nosey even though I was making a right racket with the brush!
        Love them to bits
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'll also be doing the same. I have some shavings to use up first, but plan on wood chip, or perhaps some auboise or similar. They won't be permenantly in there though, not sure if that's what you were planning? Only if we're out for example.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X