Got them! Got them!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update!

Got our first egg yesterday! It was quite small, which I understand is normal from the books I have read. I think Hazel is planning to have it for her breakfast this morning - if she ever gets up!

The only thing is - it was layed in the run, not the coop, is this normal? I thought hens liked to go somewhere dark and quiet to lay, not out in the middle of the run!

Anyway - home produced fresh eggs - Yummmy!
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Hi there, I know how exciting it is to get your first egg, I think I was almost hyperventilating

My rir was the only one of my chucks laying at first. She insisted on laying in the coop but on the floor even though I had built some fine external nest boxes with lovely straw to nest in. The girls loved to play in them but still the eggs were layed on the floor. I tried everything, kept picking up the eggs and putting in the nests, tried fake eggs and I put a ball in the place where she usually layed but to no avail. Then I bought 3 new chucks, the light sussex started laying straight in the nests and the rir just started to follow her lead.

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
        Got our first egg yesterday! It was quite small, which I understand is normal from the books I have read. I think Hazel is planning to have it for her breakfast this morning - if she ever gets up!
        Anyway - home produced fresh eggs - Yummmy!
        Well- is she up yet?????
        Breakfast in bed at this rate!!!!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

In the kitchen as I type, watching 'her' egg boil!

Comment

She just let me taste it - yummy! Very rich and almost buttery, much better than the shop bought jobs!

Must be the freshness!

Comment

Fantastic!!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

try them poached, I could never make a decent poached egg till I got my own girls. Now I could put delia to shame

the fresh eggs hold together so much better than shop bought which are probably a couple of weeks old at least.

Comment

I will, once I'm allowed one!

Comment

Well I would say the fight for the fresh eggs will soon wear off .....but sadly it won't!!! If we are ever short of eggs, my 3 kiddies start a riot between them!!

Comment

I can well believe it! We have friends and family cueing up 'to see what all the fuss is about'.

Well once both birds are laying (and if I get away with sneaking in a couple of extras... ) their should be enough eggs to go round.

Comment

we're getting about 40 eggs a week at the mo and allways find them homes, but yes it is still great to have your own eggs in the morning, trouble is i cant remember how shop eggs are any more, maybe i'm spoilt
                        Yo an' Bob
                        Walk lightly on the earth
                        take only what you need
                        give all you can
                        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

plain, tasteless and sick looking!!!!

Comment

oh and i do remember thin shells
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need