How to tell if power cut has killed my duck eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if power cut has killed my duck eggs

The strong winds earlier in the week took out my power for about 24 hours, although it did come on intermittently at first. The incubator was wrapped up with blankets.

Although the chance of them surviving this is very low - I don't want to throw them out unless I'm sure they're dead. The power cut happened about day 16,and it's now four days later. What should I see when candling them to prove they did/didn't make it. When do the veins start to break down if they have died - anyone else had a late death that can help me out?

Thanks very much.

we had over 42,000 without power up here though luckily we were not affected,apart from losing over 60% of veg crop ,lost to wind damage,i will keep my fingers crossed it all works out for you....

Comment

If placed in cool water the eggs will bob vigorously. if alive that is.
      Last edited by petal; 28-05-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Doesn't that drown the embryo?

I would assume they are alive and carry on. It will be a nice surprise if you get something hatched, and not the end of the world if the hatch is spoiled.

I had a power cut last week too but fortunately managed to pop my incy eggs under a hen for 24 hrs and then return them to the machine where they hatched just fine. Fingers crossed yours will too.

Comment

6 days later and the veins are still well defined and there seems to be some movement - so I'm going to finish the incubation and hope.

Comment

Good luck! And remember to charge the Camera batteries for all us nosey boogers!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Good luck! I once accidentally turned off an incubator full of eggs and didn't notice for at least 12 hours. They all hatched well.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, turns out they can cope with getting really quite cold. Is there anything cuter than ducklings?

They're white indian runners btw and as well as four healthy ducklings there are two that have pipped at the wrong end that I'm slowly helping out - any tips?

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww! Sooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks for sharing.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Whoa they're big! Must be well cramped inside the egg.

Just the right size to go in a spring roll!

Comment

I want ducks.
                        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What beauties! I walked along a canal recently and looked at the number of duck parents with one duckling only. Not that many places where ducklings could get out of the canal, so I guess many drownings......

Comment

Rats more likely, or crows/magpies. It is really so important to keep your own home hatched little ones in predator proof runs until they are big enough not to be easy pickings for wildlife.

Comment

Oh they're lovely! A farmer friend of ours says ducks are the most useless mothers. She would have a clutch of 10 hatch out near their pond then next time they trotted by there'd be 8 then 5 ... The mums don't seem to watch out for them. They probably do much better reared by people in an incubator, On Friday though, I saw a garden with a pen in with half a dozen well grown ducklings and a chicken who had obviously been 'mum' to them. She was still looking after them!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X