Bert and Ernie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert and Ernie

My daughter has chickens and (mainly) call ducks. Last year when she was recovering from major cancer surgery I bought her two ducklings (Aylesburys - white with a yellow beak!) but they have grown into full sized ducks and will not integrate with the smaller ducks and are having to be penned separately. She is now running out of room. Is there anyone in the Essex area who is looking to improve their gene pool with the addition of two handsome, year old white ducks. Not for the table!!!!!

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
    My daughter has chickens and (mainly) call ducks. Last year when she was recovering from major cancer surgery I bought her two ducklings (Aylesburys - white with a yellow beak!) but they have grown into full sized ducks and will not integrate with the smaller ducks and are having to be penned separately. She is now running out of room. Is there anyone in the Essex area who is looking to improve their gene pool with the addition of two handsome, year old white ducks. Not for the table!!!!!
    I'm bumping my original post. I realise that since there were no replies that it is unlikely anyone can take the birds BUT do any of you birdy folk have any suggestions. I have approached three rescue centres, two in Essex and one in Norfolk but they appear to be unable to help.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Hi, i know how attached one gets to ones duckies but they are probably not pure aylesbury(yellow beaks big no no - sorry) so a breeder is unlikely to take them. have you tried woodside zoo/farm near luton? The problem with 2 boys is that they will harm females if not given a few each then separated. I'm afraid we eat our surplus drakes, its something we accept as a result of hatching and rearing.sorry we can't help though.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Petal. They are big (and very handsome) boys but it would be better for them to have more freedom. My daughter is attached to them, if only because they helped her overcome the drastic surgery she had to have and they gave her a focus . She is desperate for them not to end up on a serving dish and if they cannot be re-homed she will continue to care for them. When they are not being "bolshy" to the girls, and each other, they are quite cute and funny.

Comment

Hi Sanjo - long time no see. I hope your daughter is doing well. Sorry to hear about Bert and Ernie - great names by the way! I wish I could help, but we have enough problem with excess wild ducks here. Really sorry. J.x
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks Glutton.Yep, we were away for quite a while and then when I came back there were problems on the vine. Sue is doing very well thanks and is just glad to be alive, making the most of every moment. Never moans and is always cheerful. Renewing her vows in July so having the "do" she didn't have the first time round. Hope you are OK?
            Bert and Ernie are lovely, just naughty, and oversexed!!

Comment

i would keep them in a separate pen then, so they don't hurt the females - boys can live together quite happily!!

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                i would keep them in a separate pen then, so they don't hurt the females - boys can live together quite happily!!
                They already are in a separate pen and in fact have the biggest pond of all the ducks. My daughter needs to move things around to allow for the increase in livestock now that ducklings have hatched and it doesn't seem fair to move Bert and Ernie to smaller quarters when they have been used to more space. Also seems unkind to let them see the other ducks but not be able to "fraternise" with them, especially as Mr Darcy, the male call duck is having a whale of a time!
                Not to worry, they will continue to live the life of luxury that they currently have until or if they can be re-homed.
                Last edited by Sanjo; 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X