Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Birds

Growers of Finishers?

Do you leave your chooks on growers or should you change them to finishers.

Also what else can I feed them to help fatten them up healthily?

We have light sussex at the moment but OH wants to get some Ross Cobbs or similar next.

He hasnt dispatched yet!

Any tips greatly appreciated
    Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
    Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
    FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Depends on what brand you use. Some manufacturers put ACS in their growers which means you have to withdraw it a week or so before slaughter, that's when you put them on finisher. Other brands you can feed right through to slaughter as they don't contain medication (this is what I do). Check the literature about your brand of feed (most feed merchants can provide a leaflet) and see what is recommended.

I use the same feeding regime as for the laying hens, ad lib pellet plus a little wheat end of afternoon. I am a bit more generous with the grain for the growing boys but don't overdo it otherwise they get too fat, just like hens. Cooked potatoes are good too, again in moderation. And ideally keep boys in a completely separate area from the hens so they don't get excited by them and bicker too much. You want them cool, relaxed and sitting about gaining weight, not running up and down the fence trying to get at the girls!!!!

Comment

Thank you.

We feed Saracen Growers Pellets, I am pretty sure it is not medicated as I do not think the produce a finishers (hence my question) however next time I am at the wholesalers I will double check.

We only have one boy! 6 hatching eggs 5 LS girls and one cheeky handsome chap! He is with the girls at the moment because I didnt want to put him on his own.

Would you still separate him? they are only 10 weeks at the moment.
      Little ol' me

Comment

no need to separate him yet if there are no other cockerels around. - although you will have to soon as he starts trying to breed- you don't want him using all his energy up and getting stringy.

Comment

If he's the only one then you would have to either keep him with the girls through to slaughter as being on his own would stress him. He wouldn't make as much weight this way as he will go into "breeding mode" and put energy into mating but will still be a decent meal.

The alternative is to get him a companion cock of the same age/type and fatten them together in a separate enclosure. If you choose this route get another grower asap as with each passing week the likelihood of them settling together as companions becomes less and less.

Comment

I also use the growers aithout acs although with turkeys I always use finishers. But how lucky is that? 5 girls from 6 eggs, always the otherway around for me!

Comment

One more silly question!

I know I know I am a pain the arriss!!!.....

After reading about separating the boy because you dont want him running around after the girls instead of fattening up......

how much room do you allow for your "eating" birds. I have six running in about 250 sq foot (14' x 18' enclosure) about 23 m2.

Is it too much or is it ok?
              Little ol' me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X