Chicken kennels?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken kennels?

We're off somewhere hot and sunny in September (don't know where, goinig to do late booking) and was wondering if anyone knew off set up that will provide holiday home for hens? My boys will do it if I persuade them but they wont poo pick properly and it's a bit too long to leave the mess. I know they wont do the daily stuff and any attention will be minimal.
    Any ideas anyone before I go begging on neighbours doors?
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Hi, there is a list of chicken sitters on the omlet web site that may be useful

Comment

I think there's a list on Poultrychat too. I'd be wary of moving them to "kennels" though - too much chance of picking up nasty bugs etc. I bet there'll be someone who'd love to help you out in return for all the eggs they can collect! Aren't there any Grapes in your area?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes there are Grapes in my area but thought it's a bit of an imposition. The thought of bugs is worrying and I guess they would be really unsettled as well with a move ,all be it a temporary one.
        Neighbours looks like the best bet or motivate one of our boys with a cash deal!!

Comment

Maybe you could get the neighbours and your boys to do the main looking after and a local willing Grape to just be there for emergencies or advice if needed? Very often just having someone knowledgable to call if you're worried is enough.

Comment

local dog sitters usually will.

Comment

Hadn't thought about dog sitter people, I have a like minded hen keeper close by but we're not 'friends' as such but when we went away before she was on hand as an emergency contact. I need someone who will pop pick! And feed early am,
              My son did it before but is at his dads at the moment and not sure if he will be moving back by then. Very difficult to get definite answer from young people although other son was very honest and said he could not be relied on!
              I just trying to get organised, dont want to leave it to the last minute. I need to keep them happy!!

Comment

Much easier to enjoy planning your holiday if you've got things sorted properly too isn't it. Hope you can get organised! Baldricks idea of dog sitters is good as they'd be ok with poo as well!

Comment

Hi Lettucegrow,
                  If you don't succeed with a neighbour or friend, I can recommend a chicken kennel in South Mimms - website here. Our neighbours usually care for them if we're away for a few days but for a week or more it feels like too much to ask.
                  Our chickens didn't seem bothered at all by the drive and new surroundings and I'm sure they forgot who we were after an hour away...
                  come visit a garden
                  or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Perkin that looks just what I need and very reasonable. I was going to offer neighbours daughter more than that. That place could be the answer, thanks again. If I time it well we could drop them off on the way to the airport!

Comment

Most hens will go off lay for a while if moved. People coming in get the eggs, so not sure why they need paying as well.... Just my opinion on it.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Do you really need them to poo pick every day? How long are you going away for? We've been away for a week and just asked the neighbours to change water - check feed, collect eggs - I gave them a good clean out when I was back. That said, I only have 3... so the amount of poo wasn't too bad!

Comment

We used JC Chickens in Bitton, near Bristol and they were great and very reasonable. We didn't want to impose on the neighbours, but one was more than happy when we had to go away at short notice and has now offered to do it everytime. We gave them wine for their trouble but wanted eggs instead.

Comment

Lots of different thoughts on this one. We are away for 10nights so there will be a lot of poo in the run. I do it twice daily as flies can be a problem when it gets a bit warm.
                            I am conscious of the disruption a stay away may cause them so I might have word with friends student daughter who may want to earn some cash. I would rather they stayed put. Think I will put it to her and explain what's involved and give her the choice.
                            The place at south mims looks quite good and quite reasonable. Just £5 per night for all four. That is what I was thinking of offering neighbours daughter. Will let you know the outcome this weekend we are of to Chichester so they are in the hands of unreliable son!! It's only till Monday so they should survive!

Comment

I'm sure local grapes would help out, if you get stuck!
                              Last edited by chris; 24-06-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X