No announcement yet.

Chicken kennels?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I delayed having chickens in my life because I knew we'd have problems with holidays and work away times. A chicken Hotel started up near us recently and this took away the last obstacle.

My girls are already booked in for their first holiday next month, so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly

Comment

I am so lucky with my neighbour as she will look after mine whenever I want. Doesn't eat eggs however so I give her a carton of fags. Although I know she'll look after them well, poo pcking and cleaning etc, it doesn't stop me worrying about them.

Comment

I always worry too - even with really good neighbours and a knowledgeable hen friend who will pop up every couple of days to cast an expert eye over them.

Worse than having kids!

Comment

perhaps the 'poopickin obsession' might put people off- if you are going away for 2 weeks say - a coop clean out middle of these 2 weeks is sufficient. They are not horses for goodness sake!!!!!!!!

Comment

I dont think it's an obsession. At all. There's a lot of flies if I don't do this and they poo a lot ,you know. I don't want to upset my neighbours by letting it get smelly and fly riddled.
            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I'm the same, but when we went away, I told them, explained they'd poo everywhere and they didn't mind - happy to change the water, and collect the eggs I've 1 less bird than you, so similar amount of poo. The red top fly traps are really good, perhaps you could put one of those up to attract the flies away from the coop/run.

I had a family member pop up every 2/3 days to check their food.. I just gave them a real good clean when I was back.

Comment

I do the same; a good clean before I go, and everything topped up. I have 2 big hopper feeders that hold around 15kg of feed each, and 2 large water hoppers, too. They have an automatic pop-hole door, too. All that needs doing when I'm away, is topping up the water buckets for the Geese, and egg collecting. It's not usually that difficult to get someone to do that. Fingers crossed...
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Well, neighbours poor nurse student daughter is taking on the task!! I am going to pay her going rate, they get to stay put and mum's happy 'cos it means daughter will have to get up in the morning!! Win win situation! Just going to write some stuff down for her and she'll visit a couple of times before we go.
                  Oh and I got one of those red top fly traps. They are very good aren't they? But the most disgusting thing at the same time!! The smell!!!!!

We're off to Bulgaria by the way, holiday booked and very excited
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Glad it's sorted I'm kinda with Hilary on the pay front though, but the main thing is that they'll be sorted fine when you're away! Have a great time

Comment

if you are troubled by flies,get some of those yellow sticky cards,hung up in the coop area it will catch loads of flies for you,after a while just bin it and put up another,certainly worked for me...good luck with it and enjoy your hol.....

Comment

your a bit too far from cornwall, otherwise i would have offered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X