Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to quarantine or not

Hello world,
    First let me say that you guys have been brilliant with your help and advice to my previous questions, so here is another one. (Please feel free to tell me to go away and read a book )
    I have two hens at the moment, and a separate coop in a quarantine area in preparation for 3 ex-batt I’m getting next month. I want to get a single Speckledy or Cream Legbar prior to the ex-batts to complete the flock. Would I need to quarantine her by her self as well?
    Also I’m looking for a third name for the ex-batts, I have two already, Ever Ready and Duracell, although my wife is not keen. Any suggestions?
    Many thanks.

Firstly please don't bring a single hen into an existing group - she will at best be bullied and at worst....... I'd get 2, then they'll have a buddy. Your existing girls will be showing who's boss and a single one will just be the recipient of all that, particularly if the new one is younger. When they start to mix you'll need hiding places for the new girls and an extra feeder and drinker.
    I always quarantine any new birds so my answer to that part of your question is Yes.
    Good luck!

Comment

I'm with Sue, don't get just one. This means you can get both Speckledy and Legbar! I've never quarantined new Chooks, stupidly it never occurred to me! I guess I've just been lucky so far.

As for names for a Battie - How about Nora!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks for that Sue. I'll knock that idea on the head. I don't feel I want any more than 6, so I'll just stick with the 2 I have and the 3 ex-batts next month. (You gays are far better than a book any day )

Comment

I love Nora for a battie - its genius

Comment

Originally posted by SteevK View Post
            Thanks for that Sue. I'll knock that idea on the head. I don't feel I want any more than 6, so I'll just stick with the 2 I have and the 3 ex-batts next month. (You gays are far better than a book any day )
            I SO hope you mean guys - but actually we're both gals!

Comment

Ooops, sorry Its been a long doy

Comment

If you want a flock of 6 why don't you get 4 ex batts?

Comment

If 6 is a hard and fast then as RH says, get 4 ex-batts, if you do as G4 did and do not quarantine, intro the 3 ex-batts and you single on the same day, or quarantine the 3 ex-batts and the new girl together, just make sure you get them on the same day. Not ideal, but far better than introducing a single girl on her own. It would just be cruel to introduce 1 girl on her own, it's like playing the lottery, with the same odds, occasionally you win, but most times not
                  Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hi all
                    thank you all for your input. Following the information given above, I think the best option is to go with the 4 ex-batt rout. I'll post how I get on. Thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X