Prolapsed vent

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prolapsed vent

What do I need to do, one of my hens has a small prolapse of the vent. roughly the size of the top of my thumb, its pink rather than angry red, can someone please advise as to the best course of action.
    Last edited by Mikey; 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

There is some info here , hope it helps

Chicken Prolapsed Vent: Prolapse Treatment and Prevention

Comment

Thanks lyndonj, I've just gone back out with some honey, and she had managed to get the prolapse back in herself. I've put some honey around the vent area and separated her into her own coop for the night, just to be on the safe side.

I'll keep a close eye on her over the next 24 hours, just to check that its not reoccuring, thanks for the article.

Comment

No problem , hope it turns out ok

Comment

Not having the best of luck dude, are ya? :/ Fingers crossed all is well in the morning.

Comment

Try feeding her corn for a few days to help stop her from laying. This will give her a chance to heal the ligaments which hold things in place.
            Last edited by Suechooks; 07-07-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

She's been only laying every 4 days or so after she had a cold, so she probably has another 3 days before the next egg. I watched her pass her morning movement today and everything looked normal. I'll continue to keep an eye on her. She seems perky enough in herself.

As per the not much luck, you are telling me, I'm on a big learning curve. Just over two months with three girls and I've had a chicken with a cold, a broody hen, and now a prolapsed vent, you'd think it would put me off but I'm tempted to get a few more.

Comment

chickens! Bag of trouble. Dont talk to me about learning curves! Hope she is OK x

Comment

Well, if you want to blow some steam off you can take me out for a pint

Comment

(any of you)

Comment

Only just reading this dude, bit late I know.

No need to go out for a drink hows the champagne??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X