Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing was used for a goat;

can I use it now for chickens?

I have bought a property that had a goat run - a large shed, 6 x 7 or something, completely fenced with a six foot chain link fence (I need to replace a couple of fence poles).

Is there any reason why I can't modify the shed to house my chickens? It has been left empty for at least a year.

The ground is fairly bare in the run - can I plant a manure crop or something that will give my chickens something to scrabble about it/eat/encourage insects for them? Or shall I leave it bare? Or dig it over?

Is there somewhere that will give me good plans for how to add nest boxes/perches for my chickens to a shed? Currently it is a plain, square shed with a normal door and a bench along one side (no doubt for the goat to stand on).

I am thinking of five chickens, and currently we are favouring light sussex.

An old goat shed or stable is fine for chooks. Just make sure it is dry and secure. A simple perch fixed across a corner about a foot or so off the ground should suffice for a few hens. You can put a freestanding nestbox in the darkest corner - either a large cardboard box with a doorway cut for access or a heavier wooden box which won't be tipped over. This is all they need. And cut a small pophole in the main door which means less rain etc will blow in. What is the roof made of? Be aware that red mite will soon take up residence under roofing felt. How big is the paddock/run? I'm assuming a reasonable size if it housed goats previously. If it is just bare because it has been heavily grazed then wait until the grass has regrown before adding hens.

Comment

I would say the run is about 20 foot by about 35 foot - and I'll let them out too sometimes I think. The roof needs redoing - I was going to refelt it - what should I do with it?

It is bare from being grazed, but in a year what has come up is thistle and nettle (which is what the entire area is covered in OUTSIDE the run too! - so I think it was trodden beyond easy recovery to be honest and if it hasn't reseeded in a year will need work to reseed with something. Would grass be best then? I saw pictures of red clover on here the other day and loved it, and Phy..... something with blue flowers. So I thought maybe something like that would help the soil and bring back the bugs quicker.

There was me thinking I'd need a neat row of nest boxes with outside flaps somehow.

*thankyou for answering me*

Comment

Oh look you are near me!

Any recommendations on where to go for my chickens and bits and bobs?

Comment

If you have the option, Onduline is reckoned good for roofing - doesn't harbnur mites.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

+ also will be suitable for ventilation

Comment

Originally posted by Corris View Post
              Oh look you are near me!

Any recommendations on where to go for my chickens and bits and bobs?
              Whereabouts are you? I'm near Holt.

Bits and bobs wise, I use bog standard black plastic feed buckets for water (£1.50 at Fakenham market on a Thursday), we mainly make our own feeders as we keep between 50 - 80 chickens (numbers vary according to season) but in the past have bought on line - P & T Poultry is good, also Wells Poultry. Feedwise it is a case of shopping around and feed prices have gone up a lot lately. I'm in the process of trying to get the best deals and am going to one place for layers and another for chick crumb/growers because I can't get what I want all at the same place.

What sort of hens are you after? I would say come to me (!!!!) but I have no surplus pullets this year, having had spectacular success hatching loads of cockerels! I could warn you against a few places but think that's better done in a PM. The Ark at Roughton does a good selection of hybrids and also some Light Sussex and last year's stock was good but have not seen this year's. There are one or two farms selling young stock that I know of but cannot say as to the quality.

Re your run, I would try and re-seed - chickens love to be on grass best of all - but you may need to "manage" it a bit as it's not a large enough area for it to be used continually, perhaps you could split it into two and put the hens on one side for three months, then swop to the other, then back again etc etc.

Comment

I'll measure it first - we are near Stalham, but kids are at school in North Walsham and work in Roughton and OH travels to little walsingham every day - so we cover a large area!

I can roof with Onduline no problem - so the run is taking shape, We have been recommended Light Sussex, I had brown leghorns in a past incarnation, but I travelled to Telford or something to get them - I'm not really too fussy, but we are going on recommendation that Light Sussex are a nice, easy, friendly, productive hen.

I'll go buy some grass seed and reseed the run then - any particular sort? Does it need to be paddock grass?

I'll take you up on your pm offer of suppliers for chickens when I'm a bit closer to getting them - had a knee op on Monday and currently off one leg. Doesn't make for successful gardening in the new place.

Comment

Well it's coming - the shed is 8 x 6. And now has two nestboxes and a pop hole with a ramp and perch.

It doesn't have a roof yet - but the onduline is on order.

Five of the posts needed replacing, so they are now here - but I still haven't ascertained how big the run is because I can't get across it until I cut down the nettles and thistles - which I haven't got around to it yet. Heading that way though.

So, it's coming! Just thought I'd update.

Comment

Pictures!!!!!!!! we need pictures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X