Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorwerks, Welsummers, Barnevelders

Just thought I'd post some pics of the chooks taken the other night

The Barnevelder is the lady with the black feathers with the pattern on them (double lacing?)

The Vorwerks are the two tone black and gold hens

The Welsummers are red/orange/brownish hens

There is also a pic of a Welsummer X Cream Legbar, who looks Welsummer-ish; but a bit lighter
    Attached Files

Lovely! I've wanted Barnevelders since I first saw them. Then I fell in love with Welsummers, and I like t'others too. If I'm ever 'up your way' I may snaffle a few!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I hatched 2 Barnevelders earlier on this year - they're so lovely and calm unlike their companion Cream Legbar!

Comment

Nice pics OWG. Re the cross, was it Legbar cock onto Wellie hen, or the other way around? And what colour eggs does she lay? And do the Barnevelders lay nice dark brown eggs (as I've read they are supposed to)? Someone round here is/was trying to give away several Barnevelder cocks and I wondered whether it would be useful to have one.

Comment

RH: Welsummer cock x CL hen I believe - just normal brown eggs unfortunately, we were hoping for olive coloured ones... however a hen from the same hatch does lay olive ones!

No, BV eggs are brown with speckl-y bits - not anywhere near as dark as a Welsummer or Marans - good size though...

We did have a BV boy, but lost him the other week to an eye injury/infection Need another boy for next spring though, as I'm determined to have more of them!

Comment

wish i had the space for a whole flock of wellier. They be like little golden eagles and the cockerels are stunningi

Comment

Originally posted by baldrick View Post
              They be like little golden eagles
              Sorry, that should read: they'd be like big, fat, fluffy, lazy henbags who peck you if you are late with the food, and who steal things from pockets, buckets and bags and are extremely loud....

Golden eagles indeed!! *snort*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X