Mother Nature really DOES know best

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother Nature really DOES know best

Feeling really sad this morning as I've just found one of my 18 week old Barnevelders dead in the coop.
    She appeared absolutely fine yesterday and was out free ranging with the others but at bed-time I couldn't find her and she was hiding under the coop. I put her in her coop as she was looking really sick and intended to take her to the vet this morning. However she decided she'd had enough of life and died overnight.
    When they hatched in March she was stuck in the egg and cheeping strongly so I helped her out. She's always been slightly smaller than the other one but was actually catching up well and was a lovely character as is her sister.
    It does rather prove the point that we should let things take their natural course.
    However faced with the same situation I would (and have) do the same thing again. I believe they all should have a chance and she has enjoyed 18 weeks of life with lots of nice food, weather, treats and love.
    RIP Barnie Babe xxx
    Last edited by Suechooks; 02-08-2011, 07:34 AM.

Awww, sorry to hear your sad news Sue. But she had a happy free ranging 18 week which is more than can be said for some other poor birds. But I'd be the same as you...I'd have to help...where there's life there's hope.
    R.I.P Little Birdy. xx

Comment

Awwww that's sad. I remember one of our POL Marans died for no obvious reason, a couple of years ago. Funny things, Chooks.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Sue. Somehow it seems worse when they are so young.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Very sad about your Barnie, Sue.

I, too, would have to help and we've done the same as you many times (by the way, I wouldn't be convinced that was why your Barnie passed away) I always wonder why the camera men and crews on these wildlife programmes don't rush to help some of the hapless creatures they're filming. If it were me, I'd have dumped the expensive camera and run to help, heedless of danger or good tv moments, or the cost of camera. I couldn't help but shout a warning to the wildebeest, placidly drinking at the waterhole, that a lioness was sneaking up behind it, planning to have it to lunch.

Jules
          Last edited by julesapple; 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM.
          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Oh that's sad Sue. I think I would be tempted to help a chick out too.

Comment

It's good there are nice caring people around to help the feathered and furry flock as so many do not. So sorry SueC - it's never nice to lose one of your own.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sorry to hear that Sue, it's always sad when we loose a feathery friend.
                Having said that I too have helped littluns that were stuck out of the shell, some didn't make it, some died young, but also some have made fully grown...I'd still do it again.
                Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

rip featherbaby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X