Yolk Colour and mixed corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yolk Colour and mixed corn

My 3 chickens have been with me since first week in June and are settling in very well. I'm really pleased we took the plunge.

One of them, the youngest, a hybrid seems to have lost interest in mixed corn, they eat mostly layers pellets but we entice them back in to the run and to bed with mixed corn in the evenings. Ginger still comes running and goes in with the other 2 but doesn't bother with the treat anymore, she used to be the biggest pig over it.

I've noticed the yolks of her eggs are now paler - could it be due to her not eating the corn?

I thought all chickens liked corn, has anyone else got any that don't? Alternative treat suggestions?

dried mealworms everytime - mine would do handstands for them!!!!!
    other treats include - 'fat hen' and dandelions from the lottie, cooked pasta, grapes - they are vicious with them!!! Mind you thet are such pigs just about anything they can get their beeks on!!!!

Comment

Greens will make the yolks a more richer colour too (and are good for their diet too). Too much corn, as I'm sure you know can make a chubby hen

Comment

they free range for an hour or so most days and longer at weekends, they're on grass when in their run. I don't feed them much extra greens because they tend to just ignore it unless it's actually growing in the garden, needless to say I'm not letting them in my vegetable patch so they can help themselves

The eggs of the other two are a great colour

Chris - they only have a very small amount of corn honest

Comment

Grow chard just for them.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

i bet they will eat cooked cabbage stalks. mine fight over them

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
              they free range for an hour or so most days and longer at weekends, they're on grass when in their run. I don't feed them much extra greens because they tend to just ignore it unless it's actually growing in the garden, needless to say I'm not letting them in my vegetable patch so they can help themselves

The eggs of the other two are a great colour

Chris - they only have a very small amount of corn honest
              Sorry, didn't mean to come across if I was being stern or telling you off! Since I've ran out of corn, I've not bought any more - perhaps will get some more over winter.

I hang a cabbage up or similar in their run from some string above a climbing frame type thing I made them, keeps them entertained for ages

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                they free range for an hour or so most days and longer at weekends, they're on grass when in their run. I don't feed them much extra greens because they tend to just ignore it unless it's actually growing in the garden,
                Mine also have assess to grass and are not interested in anything green that isn't growing.

Comment

If you are giving them mixed corn you really need to give them grit as well. The corn as you know is really hard and they grind it up in there gizzard. To do this they need grit to act as a grinding medium.............or so I'm told.
                  Greens give the yolk the deep yellow colour all though I wouldn't be surprised if layers mash/pellets has some form of additive to give chooks which never see greens (i.e. battery hens) a yellow yolk.

PS if feeding on mixed corn alone some form of shell making additive like oyster shell needs to be given also. Layers pellets has its own 'shell maker' already added.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If the yolks are significantly paler than a couple of months ago it may signify a health issue - have you wormed the chickens since you got them? Heavy worm burdens affect the egg quality and quantity. Other than that as others have said, greens generally improve the yolk colour, particularly brassicas. I personally don't feed mixed corn, preferring instead to use plain wheat as mixed corn contains a lot of maize which is very fattening, and fat hens don't lay well. Of course, any grain should only be given as treat late afternoon, the main diet should be layers pellet or mash.
                    Last edited by RichmondHens; 15-08-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Wormed them in June. They have a main diet of layers pellet are free to help themselves to grass and anything else around the garden when they're out (except my veggies and the rhubarb). I give them a small handful of corn each evening - between the 3 of them - we bought a 5kg bag when we first got the hens (June 6th) and we haven't used it all yet. Now and again they may get sweetcorn on the cob to play with and some kitchen scraps - not often we leave anything to be truthful

they have grit and oyster shell available always

the other 2 chickens are laying very nice dark yellow eggs

Ginger is younger and a hybrd, she is laying daily and the eggs are smaller - always have been - she took about 3 weeks off from laying a while ago and since restarting they are paler but still not as pale as shop bought - the only difference is she no longer eats any corn. I just wondered if it might be related, my guess is she is just different

Comment

when given chard or cabbage,hang it just out of reach,then they go mad for it,leave it low and half the time they will walk past it,and it keeps them occupied...good luck with it..

Comment

the yolk colour varies slightly with my girls as does shell colour. I use layers pellets as scatter feed as i dont have storage for large bags of corn and the price of small bags annoys me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X