New Girl with Soft-shelled Eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Girl with Soft-shelled Eggs

Last week, we got a new chook. A Cream Legbar called Rosie, who was a rehomer. She was being picked on at her old place so we took her on.

We had her in a separate enclosure for a few days, but she's now happily mixing with our girls. The only problem we have is that she has laid three eggs since she arrived and they've all been soft-shelled. Beautiful pale turquoise, but soft.

I know it may have been the stress of the move etc, but how long, roughly, might this go on for? I'm off to buy pellets etc today so I was wondering whether or not to get some sort of shell improver or calcium flour. Our girls free range and don't have this problem, grit and ground up cooked eggshells are always available.

Jules
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Try giving her some cod liver oil. I had doubts whether this REALLY worked but I started giving it twice a week to my hybrids who are getting on in years and lay poor quality shells sometimes, resulting in a minor problem of egg eating. I knew which egg was the problem as it was HUGE and dark but nearly always had a rough end leading to easily breaking. All was well once I started the CLO. Then I got forgetful and didn't give it for a week or so and straight back to the poor shells! So back on to the CLO we go.

Comment

Thanks Sue. I've got some of that already. How do you administer it?

The cynic in me thinks this is the real reason why the hen needed re-homing, but she's a sweet tempered thing so we'll keep her anyway.

Jules
      Jules

Comment

I have to say, I get some weird and wonderful eggs from my old Batties, they seem to all follow the same pattern; first they get hooooge, then they get very brittle, then rough coated, then soft one end, then just bags of egg. Then they stop laying. Haven't tried CLO - I guess I just mix it into their pellets?
        Last edited by Glutton4...; 17-08-2011, 09:18 AM.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Just collected this morning's Rosie egg. It's very bobbly and the shell is still very thin but harder than yesterday. I've got a few pieces of stale sponge cake so I'm going to try CLO on those for this afternoon's treat.

Jules
          Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
            Thanks Sue. I've got some of that already. How do you administer it?

The cynic in me thinks this is the real reason why the hen needed re-homing, but she's a sweet tempered thing so we'll keep her anyway.

Jules
            I would be inclined to think the same thing Jules. She also may have an underlying health problem (of which the soft shells are a symptom) which is why the other hens were bullying her.

Comment

I give about a tablespoon in a bowl of mash to my 12 hybrids twice a week. I use the one that's garlic flavoured so no problems getting them to take it!
              If she was being bullied she might not have been getting a balanced feed. One of my last lot of barn hens gets bullied so I let her have an evening feed away from the rest before she puts heself to bed ahead of the others. She's come on well since I started this regime.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                I would be inclined to think the same thing Jules. She also may have an underlying health problem (of which the soft shells are a symptom) which is why the other hens were bullying her.
                My son reported that he chased one of girls away from the nestbox this morning, whilst Rosie was laying, as she was pecking Rosie on the head. I don't know if this was true bullying or just trying to get Rosie out of the nestbox which is currently the girls' favourite (four to choose from, but always a favourite chosen every time we clean them out)

I'll keep a careful eye on her. Otherwise, she's not being bullied outside and will push her way in to get at treats when they're put out. She does stay on the perimeter of things a bit, but she's still new. For just over a week she's doing very well. I do hope she hasn't any health problems that we can't treat. If that was why she was re-homed then I'm a bit miffed with the previous owner for being so underhand.

Sue, I've tried CLO on the sponge cake. The girls just wolfed it down but Rosie doesn't know what to do with cake it seems.

Jules
                Last edited by julesapple; 17-08-2011, 04:31 PM.
                Jules

Comment

I'll bet she soon learns about cake Jules.
                  Sounds like she's maybe had a rather restricted diet, which is fine if it's a decent quality and she's been able to get enough of it. Fingers crossed she's just been bullied too much to eat properly and her system is low. I'd add some poultry spice or tonic too too, just to top up her vitamin and mineral levels. Good luck.
                  Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                    I'll bet she soon learns about cake Jules.
                    Sounds like she's maybe had a rather restricted diet, which is fine if it's a decent quality and she's been able to get enough of it. Fingers crossed she's just been bullied too much to eat properly and her system is low. I'd add some poultry spice or tonic too too, just to top up her vitamin and mineral levels. Good luck.
                    I think you're right. Rosie eats pellets, but not a lot. She has no idea about scraps either, although she enjoyed some rice the other day after watching the others' mad scramble. I haven't seen her really tucking in, but she is a decent size and has good a good solid covering on her bones.

Time and patience I think.

Jules
                    Jules

Comment

One of my girls has been laying soft shelled eggs for several weeks now and, of course, if I'm not around they get gobbled up by the other girls.

Today, I've been reading about egg drop syndrome and it's got me worried!! She does appear fine in herself unless, she's about to lay, and then it seems it takes forever for her to actually produce an egg. One day I actually "inspected" her VERY CAREFULLY to see if there was an egg stuck but couldn't feel anything!

I have started her on cod liver oil today so, hopefully, that will help to get her back to normal but how do I know if it is EDS?

Gorsty

Comment

Today I put 5g of egg shell improver and a teaspoon of CLO on some cubes of bread and just gave them to Rosie by herself. She enjoyed the rather gritty treat and the attention I think.

Annoyingly this evening, we noticed that Rosie was being chased out of the henhouse at bedtime by our big Speckled Sussex, who got my soft broom up her bloomers for her trouble, before we got them all settled. Someone will be down at first light to make sure there's no in-house bullying before they are let out.

We've got the plumber from hell in our house this week (landlord's choice), so chook fighting is just what I need right now......not.

Jules
                        Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X