what could have been the cause?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what could have been the cause?

I got to my chucks as normal this morning and found one of my news girls leaning to one side, her head she was struggling to hold it up, could not drink or eat.

Struggling to keep her eye open on one side and the other closed. I held her head for her and she seemed to relax alittle but she was certainly felt like she was on the way out.

Other than that she had food in her crop and this seemed very sudden, they had all settled in together and all my new girls were laying. I could not see any injury, or anything that may have suggested that she had fell.

By the side of her head - on the other side, there seemed to be a little blood shot, but not the side she was unable to hold up

I thought it was a stoke and took the decision rightly or wrongly to deal with it there and then. however i'd be interested in your comments as to if anyone has had this so if its infectious the I can deal with any others quickly

(and no, i'm not having any luck at the moment, but this is a new one for my flock)

Last year, before the cockerels went, the BH went outside to find one of our girls in the same state as your girl. We noticed a smell from her crop and thought it was blocked or sour, so treated for that. She was struggling to walk, with her feet curled, and her head to one side though, which made me think of a stroke in humans. We got some electrolyte solution into her via a crop tube (drinking straw) and she was looking brighter. Over the next two days she made a complete recovery but the cause remained a mystery for a few weeks. One day we noticed that the biggest cockerel was very rough in his attentions towards the girls and it turned out that he had damaged her neck (we found marks under her feathers later but no blood at the time) and she had suffered temporary paralysis.

But that's not to say that's what happened to your chook. It may have been her heart, or a stroke, or any number of things. I'm sure you made the right decision though.

Jules
    Last edited by julesapple; 19-08-2011, 02:17 PM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

thanks jules, I am beating myself up about my decision to be honest, she looked so ill and I felt that I had no option. I was trying to be realistic and not let her suffer. Part of me says I should have given her a chance.

However I think you know whats right, and Jo my other girl with the swollen belly is slowly recovering and is doing well, and I just didnt think jo was ready.

Comment

with acute pain or sudden onset illness with distress like that you probably did the right thing. With a dog or cat you would be asking for appointment driving to vet getting a painkiller or pts. With chooks that ill its usually pts anyway as there isnt much can be done other than see which way the suffering pans out. Wouldnt beat urself up. You made right decision at the time x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X