Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imminent Coop arrival

Can i ask some advice from the wise forum members

have been talking having chickens for what seems like ages so a few weeks ago we ordered our first coop which hopefully will be here in a few weeks time

questions:

it will be sited on bare earth, is this ok ? or i was going to use wood shavings
    does the run need to be moved around to stop souring the soil ? as that could prove difficult
    chickens and ducks ???? SWMBO would like Light Sussex and White Cambles together, is this advisable or possible ?

it's a 8-12 chook house but looking at 4 hens and 4 ducks so room should not be an issue

thanks in anticipation
    Last edited by The Large One; 31-08-2011, 02:54 PM.

I would wait until the coop arrives to decide how many, those who advertise coops tend to be over optimistic about how many they can house. Also I think ducks and chooks have different habits and a duck run is likely to be very mucky for chooks.

Comment

Thanks for advice, will see when it arrives
      I know it's 3m long and 1.8 high and 1.2 wide but as you say space ,ay look different when installed

Comment

Don't don't don't put chickens and ducks in together in that space, preferably not at all, although some people do keep them together and manage with a much larger area so the ducks can have their mucky bit but still keep some dry ground for chooks. Like Eliza says wait until the coop arrives then decide realistically how many you can fit in the run, the house will probably be big enough, but it is the outside space that matters. I would say no more than three hens in that space. Also if you are not intending to move it about onto fresh ground then you certainly need to provide material in the run such as woodchippings for digging in and dustbathing - bare earth is not satisfactory as it soon turns into a mud puddle particularly in wet weather and the mud/poo combo is a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, all noted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X