Unusual gait...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual gait...

I bought 4 boys to fatten up a while back.
    They were 6 weeks old and are now about 13 weeks and almost the size of an adult Light Sussex female.

Interestingly one of the boys walks in a very strange manner. There's no heat in his toes/joints/legs but they are much thicker than the other 4 and he sits down at any opportunity.

When he walks he lifts his feet right up in front of him and them plonks them down.
    Is this a known genetic defect?
    He's for the pot- but I don't want to see him in pain.
    He can leg it round the field with the others so I'm not too concerned about him at the moment.

Breed? well he was described as a 'cuckoo' when we bought him- ie black and white speckles and specially bred for meat. They're bigger than our adult cuckoo Marans- and don't have feathery feet ( which is standard for a Marans here) so I don't think he's a Marans.
    I do however have a female of the same age (but different parents) so I'm keenly watching her- but all seems fine with her!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

One of my 'babies' from last year walked strangely, but grew out of it. I have had ex Batts that 'goose-step' due to broken toes that no longer bend. I have to try not to laugh at them.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

You actually managed the art of 'non sniggerig'???? OMG...DO tell us how!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        You actually managed the art of 'non sniggerig'???? OMG...DO tell us how!!!
        No! I involves holding your nose - and it HUUUUUUURTS!

Comment

and so...most deffo NO coffee/tea/wine/eating peanuts as you're perfecting the 'art of'?????

Comment

Definitely not!

All the aforementioned hurt like hell when coming down your nose!

Comment

I'm sure he's fine Nicos. Juvenile males do tend to sit down a lot and I have put it down to the fact that they grow very rapidly and they just get tired. Has he always done the leg lifting thing or is it recent? If a recent thing it may just be posturing behaviour - perhaps he will turn out to be the dominant one. If he has always done it from a tiny chick then it may well be a genetic fault but if he is for the pot anyway and in otherwise good health I wouldn't worry too much TBH.

Comment

Thanks RH - yup he's always done it- just seems to be getting a bit worse as he's gaining weight.

Comment

One of my modern game girls has stared doing this. I don't know why...she lifts her feet up high and puts them down carefully as though she's walking through mud. She is fine otherwise......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X