Ex-batts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldrick View Post
    It was actually Boos(holly on a spring) fault. We'd just sat down for dinner and I was pouring a beer and wondering what to do and she piped up "so are we having some of these 14 million hens or what? Its not really fair for them to be killed. We havent got room for them all though". HE started the discussion about how if every family took 3 they would all have a home. All I contributed was the (second hand stolen) quote that its better to light one little candle than moan about the dark......Im to get some builder board forthwith for the recovery coop construction. Any ideas on getting a 6"x8"board into a renault kangoo full of dog cages, logs, bags of chicken manure.................
    6 x 8" (inch)? Or 6 x 8' (feet)? Roof bars if the latter? Or ask somebody nice with a van...
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'd go through the windows, sideways. And yes, I've done it before I didn't have to go far though, thankfully

Comment

wouldnt fit at all at all. £5 delivery. Its coming tomorrow along with those little hat things for holding onduline onto roof bit things.......

Comment

Provided the plot is used mainly for growing vegetables and fruit, plot holders are allowed
          to keep hens and rabbits on their allotment, although this can be restricted by local by-laws

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          If its a council allotment under the allotment law act of 1950 something I thought they couldn't stop you keeping chickens...am I wrong?!

Comment

Well the coop is moved to a quiet area of the plot adjacent to the current ex-batts run. I've cobbled a new run for them to have some R & R for a couple of months, lots of lovely new chippings to walk about on, some Chard growing in the run and a covered area for shelter. Sack of ex-batt pellets at the ready and a new drinker and feeder
            I'll put a thick layer of Hemcore and straw in the coop nearer their arrival.
            Hang on in there girls and in 10 days you'll be free for ever.

Comment

I have accidentally bought a new feeder and drinker too. Board came today. They sent marine ply by accident and told me to keep the sheet of MDF it was resting on (new toybox for the lilypution) and left the pallet too.......

Comment

Originally posted by Nigelsmith View Post
                Provided the plot is used mainly for growing vegetables and fruit, plot holders are allowed
                to keep hens and rabbits on their allotment, although this can be restricted by local by-laws
                Where do you find a copy of the local bylaws? Interesting and thanks for clarification.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                  Where do you find a copy of the local bylaws? Interesting and thanks for clarification.
                  The Allotment Act is a parliamentary act which over-rides local by-laws, covenants etc. Someone on another forum I visit took barristers advice and took it to court I believe and this was the outcome. So in theory anyone can keep hens on land occupied by them provided they don't cause a nuisance and the ccomplainant has to prove the nuisance - vermin, smell, noise etc.
                  In reality I doubt many people are prepared to alienate their neighbours, landlords, councils etc. in the cause.
                  Thankfully on our allotment site chickens are permitted without argument!
                  Last edited by Suechooks; 18-11-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Ooh SC you are a mine of information. I never knew this. I would prefer to keep my girls at home - wouldn't trust that their safekeeping could be met on an allotment, but for those without the space this is informative to say the least.
                    As for vermin, they are around wherever you are, regardless of chickens. I take my feeders in and clean up spilt food.
                    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 18-11-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                      Its great to think that in the UK at least the barren cage will be banned very soon. But lets not lose sight of the fact that many thousands of hens will be slaughtered to bring this to fruition.
                      If you can find a corner for just a few of these girls I know you won't regret it.
                      I'm sure the rehoming charities will be happy to hear from anyone who can take some on before its too late.
                      I do feel sorry for these little hens and could be tempted but husband is adamant we do not become a rescue centre. They have such a crap life it would be nice to see their little faces when they are given proper freedom. I might have to smuggle a few in .......

Comment

Yeah - go for it RH! I've had 3 lots, and their little faces, when they see grass for the first time, is pure joy!
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                          I do feel sorry for these little hens and could be tempted but husband is adamant we do not become a rescue centre. They have such a crap life it would be nice to see their little faces when they are given proper freedom. I might have to smuggle a few in .......
                          I just love to see them stretch their stiff joints for the first time and realise that they can do it again and again and again. Their sad eyes and little pale faces make me cry EVERY time I see them even on photos! But then after just a couple of weeks in the daylight their eyes brighten and they get lovely little rosy cheeks!
                          The first time I brought some to my allotment, some of the men helped me unload them with tears in their eyes!
                          I'd like to believe that the "enriched" cages will improve their lot but in honesty I just feel there are more of them to peck each other. (Remember my barn hens?)
                          Go for it RH!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                            Show him who is really boss! Tell him its 3 batties or some rabbits or ferrets or summat.Either that or just do it. They have lived in such a small space you could keep them in a rabbit hutch and it would be better than what they are used to.Its certainly better than the soup factory and hardly a rescue centre. I like them to atone for all the battery eggs Ive eaten over the years. At the end of the day 3 more makes no difference to the 12 Im feeding already and its a real real nice feeling to see them free. Anyway they dont live long. Go on! If you dont want to thats fine and understandable, but if he doesnt want you to.....well, lets just say I rehomed my last husband for just such an attitude.....xxx

Comment

I'm a recycled hen!

For those of you in any doubt about having recycled hens, this lovely girl "came out" over 2 years ago and continues to thrive and is still laying a beautiful brown strong shelled egg about 3-4 days a week! She also knows better than any of them exactly where I put the treats!
                              Attached Files

Comment

what lovely pictures! I really want to rescue another batch but my friend's pekin and her 10 chicks are in the barn pen- she thought that a fox had taken her hen but it had sneaked off to have babies- at this time of year! Mind you, they are looking well feathered so might be able to go into the sheltered summer chick pen soon- ....hmm....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X