Ex-batts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you find your ex-batts noisy?

Where do you find out when rescues are around your area too?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
      Do you find your ex-batts noisy?

Where do you find out when rescues are around your area too?
      Not at all. They make virtually no fuss when they have laid. I have about 12 rescues at the moment and my bantam Orpington and bantam wyandotte can out-shout every bird on the plot! I can hear them from the road but the Warrens just register a bit of a moan if I'm late but otherwise they're pretty peaceful.
      I usually get mine through the BHWT so I visit their web-site, find the local co-ordinator and see when the next rescue is. Most BHWT areas do about 10 rescues a year. There are more this month because of the cage ban.

Comment

Sadly I've had to have Lilac (the girl with peritonitis) put to sleep this afternoon. Her abdomen was so swollen and tense that she was having difficulty moving about over the last couple of days. Previously she had been in charge of the flock and first to food etc but I noticed yesterday she came out to free range with the rest but just stood about on one leg with head hunched into her neck. I took her to our vet who agreed with me. I wish she'd had longer but at least she's had a taste of life outside the cage and she felt the sun (not so much) wind and rain (in abundance) ruffling her sparse little feathers. She knew the joys of a dust bath and a cosy nest and the enjoyment of stretching and flapping her wings.
        RIP Lilac (and Milly my beautiful Welsummer also pts this afternoon)

Comment

If you're looking for Ex-batts this is another source Fresh Start for Hens
          I don't know anything about them but they have pickups throughout the country and there has been a link to them on the Carmarthenshire Freecyclecafe.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Lilac and Milly. Its always heartbreaking to lose one of your feathered friends.

Comment

That's sad Sue. (((((big hug)))))

Comment

Very sad Sue, She had a very dignified end though and as you say, the feel of the outdoors
                x

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                  Sadly I've had to have Lilac (the girl with peritonitis) put to sleep this afternoon. Her abdomen was so swollen and tense that she was having difficulty moving about over the last couple of days. Previously she had been in charge of the flock and first to food etc but I noticed yesterday she came out to free range with the rest but just stood about on one leg with head hunched into her neck. I took her to our vet who agreed with me. I wish she'd had longer but at least she's had a taste of life outside the cage and she felt the sun (not so much) wind and rain (in abundance) ruffling her sparse little feathers. She knew the joys of a dust bath and a cosy nest and the enjoyment of stretching and flapping her wings.
                  RIP Lilac (and Milly my beautiful Welsummer also pts this afternoon)
                  Sorry to hear this Suechooks - pretty names you chose.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sorry to pull up an old thread - I'm nosing backwards through the board to glean more chook advice and hints...

Had to laugh - Mr Shortie KNEW what I was getting at when I commented on the ban on barren cages snippet in this month's GYO - I looked away pretending to be nauncialant (sp? sorry!) but he knows me better, and asked when I was wanting to get some, lol!

Anyway... I just quoted the 14m bords being culled number - his exasperated face as he asked 'how many did you want to rehome??' he he he
                    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Oooh, just read the seen the most recent replies now too - sorry to hear about Lilac Suechooks
                      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                        Oooh, just read the seen the most recent replies now too - sorry to hear about Lilac Suechooks
                        Yes it was sad but I knew when I brought her home that it was the likely outcome as she had a very swollen abdomen, but like all of them she deserved at least a little time to be a proper chicken. The other 4 (Bluebell, Laurel, Marigold and Buttercup) seem to be thriving. Have moved them out of the greenhouse into a small coop next to the other brown girls so hoping I can integrate in the next few weeks - That'll give me room to have some more!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X