greenery in the chicken run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenery in the chicken run

I would like to get some greenery in our chicken run but they seem to strip everything bare. We have 10 young hens fenced off in around 40-45 square metres of garden, and I have 3 fruit trees in with them (which they can't reach to strip) and not much else. I tried transplanting a large well established lavetera shrub, but not only did they manage to eat every leaf, they had pulled off all the bark within a week. I've put up a few climbers, but had to secure them behind quite fine meshing to keep them safe. Other than nettles, is there ANYTHING they won't eat? (By the way, I do feed them plenty you know!)

Nope. They eat everything!
    Can you move them round a bit, to strip a different patch while the first recovers? Leafbeet or Chard would be quick growing and nutritious for them
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grew some pea shoots especially for my chucks

Comment

Yours are lucky chooks - I hope they appreciate how spoiled they are. I was intending to feed them a lot of the waste veg plants later in the year, but have not thought to grow something specially for them! I do have some spare grass seed though...

Comment

I agree they eat everything.
          If you have any weeds in your garden they particularly like
          Groundsel
          Chick-weed(er surpise)
          Goose grass
          speedwell.
          Later on in the summer they go mad for windfall plums.
          In the dark months I lob in all the brassica leaves & stalks that I can & even go to my local farmshop & beg the cauliflower trimmings,which they are only too happy to give me.
          Last winter the kids got adventurous (=silly) & chucked in a whole pumpin.it burst open on impact & only the rindwas left a week later.
          Jane

Comment

Yep they eat the lot, exept ragwort, but as its illigal to allow it to florish i wouldnt bother, also if they eat it by accident no more chook.
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X