Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the fence and chook house

Hi,
    We live in the city, so am trying to make our relatively small garden look less like Steptoes yard and more like a small garden that happens to have chooks!
    So... I wanted to paint our fence, and was going to paint the chook house too (yes, sorry...to match!!!).

I have been to B&Q today to look at the various coloured paints for wood and Cuprinol have one that says its OK with children and pets.

Bearing in mind it is only the outside of the chook house, and the rails of their run, can you see any problem with this (other than I am being airy fairy wanting to try and be tidy with chooks - almost a contradiction in words - we are new to this, and they decimated our garden within the first month!!!! But we love them...bless them....!!) Our neighbours all have hand manicured lawns and landscaped gardens, no kids or animals so I am sure you can see why I am trying to do this.!

Thanks for your help
    Daisy
    8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

can't see anything wrong with this, why shouldn't you want your girls house to look good I have painted my chook house a nice shade of blue, complete with flower basket . I used a child and pet freindly paint but can't remember the make. Someone on here tho said that cuprinol trade is suitable.

Go for it is my advice
    Attached Files
    Last edited by serenity; 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

The cuprinol is fine - if you look at my avatar the ark is painted in cuprinol 'willow'!

Hope your OH comes out civil if nothing else!

Terry
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Hi Serenity and Terry

Thank you soo much, your pictures are exactly what I had in mind, and even the two colours I was looking at - I really fancy the blue colour, but am not sure OH will go for it, probably will get away with the green!!! (OH who has proudly made his 2 part nest box, and is immensely proud!!...chooks are now peering in through their pophole and appear to be asking each other 'what on earth...' - considering the kerfuffle, best they be grateful thats what I say!!!!!!) It is quite good though - we are not DIY'ers really!!!

Shall now be buying my paint soon..and painting my fence and chook house!! I thought maybe I was being totally stupid and missing the point, (real chook owners dont do paint - you know how it is!) however I now know differently and will post proud pictures when its all done!!!!!

Thank you for your comments, sometimes questions seem dull, but then if you dont ask you never find out do you???!!!

Speak soon
        Daisy
        8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Comment

Would beg to differ! I am a real chook keeper and I like to keep my houses painted and the grounds neat! Doesn't always happen mind you, but I like to try! enjoy your painting and your birds!

Comment

Hello Daisy, whatever you do - do it for yourself. If you like the place all neat and painted, then do it. If not, then don't. Don't worry too much about what other people think (as long as you are not actually infringing on their peace and comfort). Do what feels right for you.
            Like your chook house Serenity. Gorgeous shade of blue. I like everything all smart myself - but understand why other people like a more "rustic " look.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by daisychook View Post
              Hi Serenity and Terry

Thank you soo much, your pictures are exactly what I had in mind, and even the two colours I was looking at - I really fancy the blue colour, but am not sure OH will go for it, probably will get away with the green!!! (OH who has proudly made his 2 part nest box, and is immensely proud!!...chooks are now peering in through their pophole and appear to be asking each other 'what on earth...' - considering the kerfuffle, best they be grateful thats what I say!!!!!!) It is quite good though - we are not DIY'ers really!!!

Shall now be buying my paint soon..and painting my fence and chook house!! I thought maybe I was being totally stupid and missing the point, (real chook owners dont do paint - you know how it is!) however I now know differently and will post proud pictures when its all done!!!!!

Thank you for your comments, sometimes questions seem dull, but then if you dont ask you never find out do you???!!!

Speak soon
              Daisy
              Don't apologise.Chicks may be comical but have great dignity & take pride in their surroundings.If they don't lay better once it's all looking house-and-gardens i'll be surprised.
              Also if you don'tpaint the hut you still have to clean it & put preservative on it.The old un-rottable cedar ones are a thing of the past I think.
              Looking forward to seeing the pics.
              Re the mess; I agre you can take the Tom & Barbera look just too far sometimes & don't want to upset the neighbours!
              Jane

Comment

Mine are painted blue too, did get some or ginger chook as she wanted to be wherever my brush was it diddnt bother her, cant remember the make.
                Yo an' Bob
                Walk lightly on the earth
                take only what you need
                give all you can
                and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X