Too good to eat!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too good to eat!

I have made a really big error, not intentional I promise.

I have fallen in love with my hubbard cockerel! He is gorgeous and has a lovely personality.

He was to only hubbard out of 16 Ebay eggs to hatch, so he has always stood out.

I am really struggling with the fact the he is going to have to go at some point

What am I going to do?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Munch; 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM.
    Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
    Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
    FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Get your partner to do the deed and bung him in the freezer for a couple of weeks

Comment

My partner will do the deed, but its my job to pluck and draw.... Only did it once not wholey keen on doing it again, speshally with this one!
      Little ol' me

Comment

I had the same problem with Big Roastie! He was the only one from the first hatch but I had another batch who were 6 weeks behind him. I put him in with them and just before Christmas most of them went "down the road" (literally as there is a guy a few miles away who slaughters and dresses them!) and Big Roastie went with them. Now in the freezer waiting for a special occasion! They are nice birds as they have that hybrid personality that you seem to get with Warrens. Still have 4 waiting to go.
        If you're planning to do more meat birds you need to er..... well take the bull by the horns as it were and deal with him. If you don't want to do more roasties and you can keep a cockerel ........? The only thing I'd worry about is him having leg problems before long? They are so fast growing that this can happen so it's worth bearing in mind before you get too attached.
        Good luck whatever you decide!
        PS The ones I've eaten have been delicious and no food miles!

Comment

Thanks Sue.

I know the inevitable is going to have to happen really. He started crowing a couple of weeks ago and it getting louder and louder, but again it is a lovely crow, a proper cockadoodledoo! I love hearing him but I am not sure the neighbours will be so keen after a while (their houses are closer to him than I am!)

I wish I knew some one "up the road"
          Little ol' me

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post

I wish I knew some one "up the road"
            It might be worth looking about you for a "man up the road"! I get my feed from him and I knew he did turkeys for Christmas, then a notice appeared saying he did a meat chick dispatch service. Quite honestly I wouldn't have done meat birds if I'd had to do them myself - even though my neighbour would have dispatched them I'd still have had the rest to do. Look for someone who has poultry and sells oven ready turkeys/chickens from the premises. Chances are they've got the necessary premises/expertise. I pay £3.50 per bird. Worth every penny!

Comment

It gets easier, their lovely personalities soon change as their hormones kick in - then it's really easy!

Comment

He looks ready to eat. Just remember that when they look their best they will be at their tastiest too. A young handsome tender cockerel makes a lot better eating than an old manky stringy one! And I agree with Sue about leg problems etc. These birds are bred to grow quickly so you are best rid of him while he is in peak condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                  It might be worth looking about you for a "man up the road"! I get my feed from him and I knew he did turkeys for Christmas, then a notice appeared saying he did a meat chick dispatch service. Quite honestly I wouldn't have done meat birds if I'd had to do them myself - even though my neighbour would have dispatched them I'd still have had the rest to do. Look for someone who has poultry and sells oven ready turkeys/chickens from the premises. Chances are they've got the necessary premises/expertise. I pay £3.50 per bird. Worth every penny!
                  Why don't you enquire at your local butcher? You may find they will offer a despatch and dressing service. Our local butcher does.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                    Why don't you enquire at your local butcher? You may find they will offer a despatch and dressing service. Our local butcher does.
                    Yes - my butcher did offer to dress mine if there were only a couple but he wasn't going to dispatch them. I think he was just doing me a favour though its not a regular service. Its probably a thing you'll find available in more rural areas too (like where RH lives!)

Comment

Keep him he looks a nice woosty!
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Just spoke to my butcher, had to get some oxtail!

He has said if we dispatch, as he cant as he has a dodgey bone in his hand. He will dress!

All for £1 or nothing if he is in a good mood!
                        Little ol' me

Comment

Thats good then! Have you got to pluck or wil he do that too?

Comment

he will do that too!

Bless him!

Now whats the best way to fatten him up at this time of year!
                            Little ol' me

Comment

I have four boys that need to go. Well five if you include that rude, ansty and ungrateful >bleep< that RedThorn 'kindly' gave me! (No Steve, I won't, I promise!)

I use my local Butcher for all my meat - but never thought to ask him about dispatch/dressing. I am an idiot.

He is a good looking bird, Munch, so I know how you feel; my Orps are lovely too.
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X