No announcement yet.

Too good to eat!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking maybe, if we get some more hubbard eggies that maybe, he might do they same, say for 6 if we said he could keep one or two for himself.

What do you think?
    Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
    Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
    FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Oh and thank you to the mod that changed my to, to too!

I noticed as I clicked submit then I couldnt change it!
      Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
      Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
      FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

That's good news. If he's going to pluck him too it might be as well to ask him if he wants the bird warm, ie freshly despatched, as they are easier to pluck then.

Feeding wise it's ok to keep him on ad lib grower pellet. Just be aware that if it contains ACS you will have to switch to something else for the final week before despatch (layers pellet will do as you only have one cock, no point in shelling out for cock finisher pellet for one bird).

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
          I was thinking maybe, if we get some more hubbard eggies that maybe, he might do they same, say for 6 if we said he could keep one or two for himself.

What do you think?
          Ask him and see what he says. I would think, as a butcher he probably gets plenty of birds and maybe a gift of some wine or other booze might be preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
            he will do that too!

Bless him!

Now whats the best way to fatten him up at this time of year!
            I've been advised to feed lots of corn over the last couple of weeks as it lays down a layer of fat which makes breast meat moister. And don't give him cabbage or strong flavours or the meat will taste of it apparently!
            I give mine ad lib organic growers pellets with some cut maize mixed in then they have either apples, winter squash, cooked parsnips/potatoes/rice/pasta etc with a bowl of mixed corn in the afternoon. My 16 week one dressed out at 3 kg and the others between 1.7 and 2.6 kg The 4 I still have are huge and will be going in next couple of weeks I hope!

Comment

So what age do you lot normally cull for consumption at? (For both cocks and hens?)

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                So what age do you lot normally cull for consumption at? (For both cocks and hens?)
                Depends on the breed Chris. Pure breeds I believe around 24+ish weeks (I have an Ixworth who'll be down the road before then anyway!) The meat hybrids like Hubbards, Sasso and Cobbs are ready much earlier. You can buy hatching eggs or chicks for the Hubbards for maturing at about 4 different rates from 6 weeks to 12/14 weeks. I have some which should be 12 weekers and some 10 weekers but as I hatched and brooded them under hens and outside with no artificial light (except in the very dark days when they had an extra hour in evenings) they grow more slowly and are very active so take longer to mature. They'll be around 18 weeks.

Comment

where can you get these meat hybrid hatching eggs from?

Comment

How do the costs stack up for fertile eggs vs. day/olds or 3/4 week olds?
                    We can get cobbs (almost) locally but either as day olds or 4 weeks.
                    Any advantages to hatching them from eggs?

David

Comment

The cost of day olds here is £1.75 and 4/5 weeks £2.95....

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                        where can you get these meat hybrid hatching eggs from?
                        I get them from Poulet Anglais. simon.skinner@btinternet.com Last lot I got were about £12 ish for a dozen including pastage and poking. He does 4 or 5 varieties of Hubbards. There's also Smart Chicks who do Sassos at £15 a dozennicky@smart-chicks.co.uk. Did extensive research last year and these were the only ones I came up with.
                        Last edited by Suechooks; 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I have 4 Silkies who spend most of the year being broody. I came up with this idea as I really don't want more pure breed layers at the moment. It gives them something to do and saves on electricity as well as the obvious advantages of the chicks being hen-reared. For incubating I put some under the hen and some in the incubator to allow for infertile ones
                          The eggs I buy cost me around £12 a dozen including next day delivery.
                          Cost of rearing is a difficult one as I have to pay for slaughter and dressing but if I did it myself it would probably work out less than buying a proper free range chicken.
                          I just love the idea of no food miles, knowing what's gone in to them and most of all the fact they've had proper lives - outside scratting about, dust bathing etc.
                          For the same reasons I buy pork,duck and turkey from local farms where I can see the livestock and the people are happy to show you around.
                          Last edited by Suechooks; 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtothis View Post
                            How do the costs stack up for fertile eggs vs. day/olds or 3/4 week olds?
                            We can get cobbs (almost) locally but either as day olds or 4 weeks.
                            Any advantages to hatching them from eggs?

David

David the post I've just done (#27)was a reply to you - I didn't press "reply with quote" - its me age!
                            Last edited by Suechooks; 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

It's something I really want to do.. just at the moment, I can't give them the seperate space (well, could but don't want to - as I want a garden for my kiddies ) required / to keep their feed seperate.

Some day, some day!

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                                It's something I really want to do.. just at the moment, I can't give them the seperate space (well, could but don't want to - as I want a garden for my kiddies ) required / to keep their feed seperate.

Some day, some day!
                                Get an allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X