Cockerel preference

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockerel preference

Why is it that my cockerels prefer my poor little white hen above all others? She isn't laying at the moment.
    She squawks horribly when they go for her and she and 2 others - who I have not noticed being "victims" - stay in the house all day to keep away from the terrors. They hover about outside the run waiting for her to get desperate enough to come out for a bite to eat and then go for it. I am having to keep the 3 cockerel avoiding chickens locked into the run for their protection until they have had a good feed. Then I let them out and the white hen sits in a tree to put them off.
    Is it normal for hens to object to being treaded? Or is it because she isn't laying?

It's because she's not in lay. She should become more willing when she starts to lay again. Mine all hide in the house too to avoid cockerel attention first thing in the morning. Presume your hen to cock ratio is high enough? I have one cock that sits at the bottom of the ramp waiting for the first hungry hen to appear, then he pounces. The LS cock bowls everyone out of the way as he comes out of his house and flattens half his harem before they've made it as far as the feeder, the IG is more interested in food than his hens ........... I wonder how many of those eggs will be fertile come hatching time. Another one prefers me ...... don't ask! Funny old things, chickens.

Comment

Oh, I had this problem with our pekin cockerel until I increased the ratio of hens- he now has 6 to choose from instead of 3. he is a right randy devil!

Comment

My vet recommends a ratio of 10 to 1. I'm sure there are come cockerels that can cover lots more though and those that need less.

Comment

I have 6 hens to 2 cockerels, OK 5 if you count the fact that the only hen who is laying is a Brahma and well too big for bantam cockerels to tackle. They both go for the white hen and the hen they hatched under I noticed today. Another hen goes out quite happily with them, but tells them off in no uncertain terms if they try anything on.
          The boys have to go this week OH has threatened to leave home if I don't sort them out.

Comment

Remove one of these cockerels- the hens will be able to deal with just the one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X