Deformed beak....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deformed beak....

Thinking of renaming Miss Norway to Harriet,every time I turn around she out & about,damned Houdini chook

Is it OK to "file" the lower beak with a coarse emery card ? it is about 8mm longer than the top beak & she (Captain Beaky) has great difficulty picking up wheat grain of the ground Kentucky (also clipped) can pick up easily with a 4mm difference in length,so was thinking of filing Beaky back to about the same.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Personally I've never touched the lower beak - it normally rights itself.

Comment

Hokey dokey Sue,I will watch & see how it goes for a while longer then

Comment

Have you a piccie of the beak BB?

I had a twisty beak a couple of years back which we had to hand feed. He got very tame but would never have made it without help. ( He made a lovely casserole too! )
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Back soon

*BB wanders off to find a camera

Comment

I'm back

Picture is a bit blurred due to maxing out the in camera zoom & crop,will try & get a better one during the day.

Viewed from above she is also very slightly cross billed.but she is eating unaided (got a deep bowl for her pellets) & seems to be healthy & happy,it quite possibly concerns me more
            Attached Files

Comment

Gosh- that's quite a big difference isn't it????

Twiskybeak's cross-over got progressively worse as he got older. By the time he was 24 weeks he couldn't feed himself and we spend a good half hour a day hand feeding him. His tongue started to dry out too so it was a no-win situation. We just fed him for the pot and culled him a couple of weeks before the rest of the boys.
              How old is your gal?

Comment

I'd certainly try and do something about that. That looks quite an undershot. Also if the other hen has a 4 mm one she needs sorting too even if she can currently eat ok. With her you will probably be able to file it down although I doubt an emery would be tough enough, you might need a rasp or similar. Miss Beaky may need hers clipping, I think you would find it hard to file 8 mm down and she may not tolerate being held for that long. Once they are back to normal length try feeding treats on a hard surface (stone, concrete) to encourage natural wear.

I'm curious, what sort of hens are they/where did they come from? I suspect a degree of poor breeding for young hens to have such badly shaped beaks.

Comment

I've one with a very twisted beak (an ex batt) who's slightly smaller but totally ok. It gives her a sneer!
                  Last edited by vicky; 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

If you start doing something about the beak be really careful or get someone who's experienced to help you out. Its quite a difference but presumably she's managed this long without too much bother? Or is she underweight?

Comment

Not sure on age Nicos,I forgot to ask but they were all brought as POL (no eggs yet though).Would it be an idea if I were to get more & decent pic's of them all & start a thread to act as a point of reference to others ?

RH,any idea where I may be able to get some clippers ? or if there is someone in the west midlands who would have a pair ? or be prepared to trim for me ?
                      Last edited by bearded bloke; 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Sue,she is only (visibly) marginally smaller than her "sister" from the same clutch,not tried weighing her though.

Comment

Some of my ex-Batts have had odd beaks. Several have had clipped uppers, but have managed to eat unaided. One had a slightly twisted 'bite' but also managed to feed perfectly well. I did wonder if they would need attention, but so far so good, and the clipped beaks evened out in time.
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                            Would it be an idea if I were to get more & decent pic's of them all & start a thread to act as a point of reference to others ?
                            ......done

Comment

Cheers Nicos,will get some decent pic's at weekend when wifey is here daylight hours to hold them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X