No announcement yet.

Deformed beak....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought clipping the beak was very painful for the bird, or is that just an incorrect something I've read somewhere?
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I think it can be if the upper beak is trimmed too close to the nostrils,this is quite probably causing me more concern than her,thus the reason for asking
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Commercially reared hens have the upper beak hot-wired as young chicks to help prevent damage to others when in confined commercial premises. Barbaric

Comment

Beaks are like tough toenails and will grow back so you will probably have to repeat the procedure every 6 months or so unless once clipped you find a way of keeping it down with gentle filing. But I would advise getting someone else to do it for you. Vet, vet nurse, or a breeder near you (sorry don't know anyone your way). In fact I would be inclined to take her back to where you bought her from and get them to do it, and have "words" at the same time!
          Last edited by RichmondHens; 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Cheers RH,I will pop up & see a friend this weekend that keeps rare breed chooks,get the name of the vet she uses
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Looks to me like her beak was clipped too short, but has done some growing back, not quite as it should. needs skilled sorting, but maybe you can learn to do the 'maintenance' once the initial problem has been brought down to manageable proportions.
              I'd avoid buying any more from that breeder.....
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X