Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noticed cockerels are getting 'frisky'...........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noticed cockerels are getting 'frisky'...........

Its that time of year again folks when young mens thoughts turn to............ This goes for cockerels also, Sids getting more aggressive and I noticed his brother getting frisky with his small harim.
    Sids harim lay lots of large eggs and his brother was the sire of them. I've started collecting eggs now from the best layers with the best cockerel and will possibly have a go at hatching some in the near future.
    Because the cockerel is a purebred Light Sussex and his harim are white hybrids, hopefully I will get some decent layers, laying large eggs,which don't eat much!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Getting to be a bit inbreedingish there......
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      That's the North for you Hilary!

Comment

Yep, Spring is in the air. Just found one of my young LS cocks (soon to be despatched) had found his way into the Minorca pen - he looks chuffed to bits! Minorca cock not so happy though ...............

Comment

I wonder if the cold spell due this weekend will dampen their ideas???

My two are just stuffing their faces as usual!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My 'soon to be dispatched' boys have very red legs now, but other than the one initial minor attack recently, they appear to have calmed down again. Asbo keeps out of their way, and the four of them seem quite happy bimbling around with the girls. They are all Orps, and very placid - shame to eat 'em really, but they'll be tasty.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              Not really Hilary. Many yaears ago I bought some eggs off eBay and hatched them. Out of 1 dozen eggs I got four cockerels. Two were Salmon Faverolle,(now departed) one was true Light Sussex and the other was Silver Sussex. Sid is the Silver Sussex and is running with the offspring of the Light Sussex cockerel.
              I also have some of Sids X ISA brown in another pen (laying smaller eggs) running with an imported Cream Legbar cockerel.(He was going to get the chop so I rescued him)
              The Light Sussex will once again be father and he is running with one ISA brown and two white hybrids which were bought in and are really good egg layers!

I call them 'Brothers' because they were hatched at the same time but they aren't 'blood brothers'

Does this shed any light..............or is it still as clear as mud?
              Last edited by Snadger; 13-01-2012, 05:11 PM.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                That's the North for you Hilary!
                I resemble that.....................

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Foster brothers then, yeah, that's better.

Comment

Before my time. ^^^

Snadger - nothing wrong with a bit of interbreeding anyhow or so the inhabitants of my neighbouring village tell me

Nothing wrong with up Noorth either
                    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 13-01-2012, 09:44 PM.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I have been battling with the fact that my cockerels fancy their hatch mother (eggs set under her) but are not in the least bit interested in their sister. Why is it ok with mum but not sister?
                      Last edited by elizajay; 14-01-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Oedipus is a very complex rooster by the sounds of things?
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Dunno about chickens, but someone did research on quails and found that they had a tendency to fancy their cousins. Presumably it is 'like, but not hatched with'?

Comment

Originally posted by elizajay View Post
                            I have been battling with the fact that my cockerels fancy their hatch mother (eggs set under her) but are not in the least bit interested in their sister. Why is it ok with mum but not sister?
                            Maybe their testosterone is ahead of their sister's oestrogen! Maybe they're not laying yet and brooding mum is? Or perhaps they see her as one of the lads!
                            Last edited by Suechooks; 14-01-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                              Maybe their testosterone is ahead of their sister's oestrogen! Maybe they're not laying yet and brooding mum is? Or perhaps they see her as one of the lads!
                              Mum isn't laying and nor are the other 2 hens they fancy, but you may be right about their sister being one of the lads, she joins them on the roof for morning crowing sessions looking decorative, but not trying to join in. Thank goodness

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X