Just starting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting

Hi everyone, my first post on this forum. After thinking long and hard and we now have the space and dedicated time, have decided to get a couple of chickens for egg production. Have made a run 3x2 meters (2m high, uncovered so far) with coop 66cm by 124cm reccomended 2 to 4 birds (decided only to have 2 birds based on what I have read). We are located in a small village with neighbours next to the run (who are the village moaners). The run was covered in grass, but is dead in places as was used for garden storage, I have raked it up and looks like bare earth with a few grass shoots. My question is what should I be using as flooring of the run, I dont want it to start smelling of ammonia from the droppings as not to annoy the pain in the bottom neighbours etc. Should I make the run as water tight as poss to keep everything dry or use disinfectants with flooring materials etc.

Thanks

Welcome! A covered run is always much easier to look after so I'd advise covering it with something like clear corrugated plastic. Dry droppings are far less odorous() than wet ones!
    Hardwood chippings make good material for runs with paving slabs under if you can run to it. That stops it turning to mud should any rain get in and prevents foxes digging in. The wire should be buried in the ground again to prevent foxes getting in.
    Make sure there is somewhere for them to shelter from sun as well (if coop is raised off ground that usually is enough) and have plenty to occupy them.
    Its generally recommended that you have 3 hens rather than 2 as if one dies (and sadly they do unexpectedly) you'll be left with a single bird which is not recommended as they are flock creatures.
    Start saving for a new coop as you'll probably be like the rest of us and get addicted so you'll need more ......... and more .........and more ..........and.....!
    BTW its the paving slabs that stop foxes digging in not the chippings!
    Last edited by Suechooks; 16-01-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Hello! Glad we have another convert to hen keeping. All good advice from Sue. Can we have some pictures when you get them pleaseee!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X