• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks brilliant - well done

Comment

thanks greenleaves and yes it is lol

thanks scarlet hopefully chickens will be in at weekend
      All My Spare Time Is Spent On The Plot .. Gardening Is What I Love To Do..
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andiwiddow View Post
        thanks greenleaves and yes it is lol
        ha, you may well get the door nicked!!

Comment

not on my site were all good friends i have known them all years thats the upside of this allotment
          All My Spare Time Is Spent On The Plot .. Gardening Is What I Love To Do..
          sigpic

Comment

Our coop and 3 ladies (plus a pesky pooch).....

Comment

Originally posted by pandasyard View Post
              Our coop and 3 ladies (plus a pesky pooch).....

Love the colour scheme! (Where's the Panda's?)
              Last edited by Snadger; 22-07-2015, 09:29 AM. Reason: Turned the eek into a cool icon!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Love the colour scheme! (Where's the Panda's?)
                I am the Panda lol

Comment

That is a lovely coop - did you make it or buy it?
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                    That is a lovely coop - did you make it or buy it?
                    We were given it and just painted it in colours we like. Freecycle is a great thing!!

Comment

Thats brilliant!

We had chucks a few years back who rampaged around the garden (front & back) generally re-enacting the Somme as they do.
                      We ended up having to rehome them with a lovely couple, on a farm who had a rescued turkey and a 1 winged duck because our next door neighbour kept opening the gates to let them out onto the road, sometimes at 4am! She then complained to anybody and everybody who would listen to her - daft old bat.

Anyhow, since reorganising my veggie area I now realise that I have a decent size area that could be completely fenced in so a coupple of ex bats could be acquired - just need to get all the stuff, including a house sorted again.

Oh and the vicious old boot from next door is no longer with us so.....
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                        Thats brilliant!

We had chucks a few years back who rampaged around the garden (front & back) generally re-enacting the Somme as they do.
                        We ended up having to rehome them with a lovely couple, on a farm who had a rescued turkey and a 1 winged duck because our next door neighbour kept opening the gates to let them out onto the road, sometimes at 4am! She then complained to anybody and everybody who would listen to her - daft old bat.

Anyhow, since reorganising my veggie area I now realise that I have a decent size area that could be completely fenced in so a coupple of ex bats could be acquired - just need to get all the stuff, including a house sorted again.

Oh and the vicious old boot from next door is no longer with us so.....
                        Wow!! I am really glad my neighbours aren't like some of the neighbours people on here have!!

I am attempting to build one very soon as we want more as well, there is a farm near us that will be rehoming (selling off to me and you) 24,000 hens as they are going to be at the 72 week limit so we want to try and get 10 if possible depending on the room we can create. We have the area sorted just need to tackle the bushes hanging over from the school and move the shed that is currently there.

Not sure where you are but there is someone on eBay around Burton on Trent who is selling a few different houses and they haven't had bids in a few times of being listed.

Comment

There are some beautiful houses here. I am a carpenter by trade so anything I make at home is a complete, out of square, mess. I found about 50 foot of 3 foot tall wood fencing by the road so put it double high, got some salvaged wire, and a bit of new, bought $24 of off cut metal roofing, salvaged some hinges and gutter, some underground conduit (the downspout) and corner poles - knocked it together, and it is pretty Fort Knox like, which is good as the night brings out lots of clever predators. Cost about $50, but will last a long time, it is already 4-5 years old.

My birds are like the house, assembled from finds - the odd chicken being given away, a couple bought as chicks, and are basically mongrels and yard chickens, but are pretty savvy at living outside during the days - although 10 - 15 get picked off a year, but I let them breed so it is not a problem.

They have a good life, although dangerous, but are happy, and when one of their bunch goes, well, they are philosophical and soon get over it.

The left end has plywood platforms and interior walls up at 3 foot for sleeping, with a couple of roost poles, but they mostly prefer bunching together on the plywood (so raccoons and opossums cannot reach in and grab one) which keeps the wind and blown rain off them, and makes it darker. The rain butt supplies all their water even though they drink a couple gallons a day in the hot months. They have a 3 box nesting spot for eggs inside, and I use bags of leaves people rake up and leave out for the house floor litter.

They eat mixed grains and some layer pellets, lots of veg from the garden, and fish I net them, and forage. All my animals eat a lot of fish.

Inside the house - the leaves for flooring, it all goes onto the garden after being composted - they mostly eat outside, no idea why I fed this to them inside. They are a scruffy bunch, but healthy, although they get no care other than food and lodging, but never needed any either.

Comment

New House/run pics

Built by my wonderful hubby Hen party next week! Will start moving them from their current enclosure next Wednesday.

Attached Files
                            Just think happy thoughts

Comment

I built mine out of old pallets, pallet boxes, spare bits of timber and flexi pipe, all of which I managed to get for free. The only thing I needed to buy was the wire.

Attached Files
                              Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

— Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Recently joined so thought I'd share a few photos of my coop/run.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X