Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas what we can use as a waterproof cover for part of our chicken run?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas what we can use as a waterproof cover for part of our chicken run?

We got our first chickens yesterday and are totally in love with them already! We thought we were all sorted with our house / run setup but we have quickly discovered that there are lots of little blips that we need to iron out. So this is probably the first of many questions! There is a little "porch" between the house and run which is just covered with chicken wire at the moment, but we want to cover it so the girlies have somewhere to shelter from the rain. As it was raining today we covered it with a clear plastic sheet temporarily held down with bungy clips and wood, but it just flaps about, makes a lot of noise and looks awful. Can anyone suggest anything we can use as a permanent cover and how we could attach it? (The house and porch are a pyramid/triangle shape so it would just have to cover 2 sloping sides which meet at the top - if you know what I mean). I found some clear tarpaulin on the internet but I imagine that would flap about and make a noise like the plastic sheeting. The area in question is probably about 3 metres x 1 metre.

Why don't you make eyelets and get some bungee straps. Alternatively Onlet might have something you can use. They come with bungee straps to hook onto their weld mesh runs. Depends how tough the mesh is on your run. If it's chicken wire then it will bend.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

You can get flat sheets of corrugated plastic (looks like corrugated card but made of plastic) which would screw into place. Or the wavy roofiing sheets.

Comment

If you can make something rigid it will last better than sheeting. I've used the plastic corrugated sheets but they only last a season or two even in our fleeting sunlight in lancashire. Onduline is better but will make the run darker. if you can make the roof of your coop extend as a porch that would be strongest, depending on the design of your coop. Alternatively, build a little hut with an open side and put it at the opposite end of the run from the coop. This works well with my banty and chicks. They sit out there quite happily, and will dash over even in the rain. If you can find an old wheelie bin, I've always thought they have potential as a shelter (on their side) with a bit of creative sawing!

Comment

I would go with a freestanding shelter too. JMs ideas are good. Also, what about a child's plastic table - you know the type designed for use in the garden. They are about the right size to fit into a small run and would shelter a couple of chooks. We have one (although not used for chickens) and it's still going strong after 10 years!

Comment

I use the plastic corrugated sheets as above to cover my run - but in my garden I have off-cuts of onduline, which make a table type structure for them to go under if it really does belt down and they want to be outside. If they're not under that or in the run, then they're inbetween my fruit bushes (which now look a bit odd, being completely bare for the first couple of feet - then all leafy at the top!)

Comment

Something like this?
              Attached Files

Comment

Blimey! Puts my efforts to shame! Mine like to be outdoors so my run is open (chicken wire) to the elements between the coop and the shelter. It doesn't necessarily even need sides. My banty and her chicks happily sit under a small table even in the pouring rain. Keeps them hardy ;-))

Comment

..alternatively of course, and this is the easiest thing to do - put your coop on piles of bricks and they will shelter underneath it!

Comment

compost bins are great shelters

Comment

Funny, I was asking hubby what that plastic stuff was called and I come on and read this post! I've used clear tarpauling over nearly the whole of of my walk in run but I'm on number two and this one won't last another winter. The strong winds have ripped both the wire top and tarp. Mine have some cover but it ends like a bog up there. Horrible!
                      Looking for something more permanent too. OH things clear corrugated stuff would be very expensive. Will need to investigate.
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                        compost bins are great shelters
                        Now THAT is a good idea!! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
                          Funny, I was asking hubby what that plastic stuff was called and I come on and read this post! I've used clear tarpauling over nearly the whole of of my walk in run but I'm on number two and this one won't last another winter. The strong winds have ripped both the wire top and tarp. Mine have some cover but it ends like a bog up there. Horrible!
                          Looking for something more permanent too. OH things clear corrugated stuff would be very expensive. Will need to investigate.
                          Clear corrugated plastic isn't so expensive, its just that you have to keep replacing it every two years! Onduline is £17 for a 2m x 98cm sheet.The plastic stuff is half that I think. If you can possibly move your run around, and/or give them something to stand on out of the mud (a pallett), or put some wood chips down, it will help.....

Comment

Thanks jesmorris. Fraid it's a fixed run and I have put things in there for them to clamber on to, and cut straw to soak it up. They don't seem bothered by the mud but it's only a matter of time before I end upon my backside when I go and feed/clean them!!
                            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Straw just holds the wetness where it has landed! Drainage is the better answer, make sure the water can run away!
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X