chicken prolapse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken prolapse

hi all need help, wormed chickens 4 days ago and now the oldest one seems to have a prolapsed behind with wet discharge,and this morning she seems very slow walking she is three years old what should I do?

The problem with a prolapse is even if you put it back in, it can pop out again if she is still laying. I would take her to the vet, as she may need antibiotics to prevent infection.

Comment

If it really is a prolapse, then it's nothing to do with the worming. I've only ever seen a prolapse once in my hens, but the vet told me there isn't really much you can do - like petal said, it will return. I would take her to the vet like she said, and see if it really is one, but if so, you may have to say goodbye to this chicken. I hate to say that but in cases like that I remind myself that they do not deserve to suffer.
      Fingers crossed, maybe it's something different and curable!
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

I had one of my gals with a small prolapse after a huge egg and I popped it back in with a finger covered in Vaseline.
        Interestingly it's not reappeared (yet) for several months.
        Certainly worth giving it a try- even if it gives her a few more months!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for the info, will remember that next time (of course, knock on wood...)
          ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

thanks everyone have purchased some anti biotic spray so going to try cleaning her then try the spray cheers all.

Comment

Hope it's not too bad or the other hens might peck at it. I have heard of haemorroid cream being used but have never had to deal with a prolapse. My girls all get taken to the vet if ill and I am guided by him as to the outcome. I've been pleasantly surprised how knowledgable my vet is with poultry and also not expensive as cats and dogs as chickens must come under small pet prices. (At our vets anyway)

Comment

hi there, where did you get your antibiotic spray from and what was it called, have a chicken with a small prolapse and my vet isnt chicken friendly, I've had one before and dealt with it and she was fine. today i've poped her in a coop on her own with corn only

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X