Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a Barking chook

all are laying - and seem fine.
    having said all that - i came on here to seek advice again - one of the rhodies seems to either cough or sneeze or bark - i cant decide which it is! she seems well and looks fine - any offerings what she may have and what I should do?

Err... could it be dusty bedding?

Too new at this game to offer anything more sensible in the way of ideas, but someone will turn up an answer for you.

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

thanks for that thought - its a new bag of shavings, i wonder if its finer than normal -
      she does sound to be chesty though - i have examined her this monring and her breathing seems to rattle, and its a cough - plus her nose looks like its been running.
      however - she looks fine, is eating normally - and she feels soft - i did try to massage her crop - but as i dont know quite where it is, she just had a full body massage!
      what can i give her?

Comment

I have heard that hens can get colds- but I've no idea what you can do about it.
        Hope she's better soon
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

just some tlc, maybe some honey mixed with her food.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

OK - heres a summary of all the advice I have gleaned.

1 - she could well just die - dont bother with spending any effort or time on her....

2. Bronchitis - if so, you cant treat it - anti bios need to be taken before they get it (?) if so - you could lose 10% of the flock (thats half a hen)

Comment

Ok! So I'm new to this and don't quote me!

1) Honey IS antibiotic - it is unlikely to do any harm and may help

2) If the hens are pets rather than 'just' a productive animal, the cost of a trip to the vet may be justified

3) Humans suffer from allergies - do hens?

Don't know if that helps you to make up your mind what to do but it might show what I would do!

I really hope your hen gets better soon.

I have been told that hens do not like to be alone so regardless of the outcome you might like to think about getting one or two more hens so that if the worst happens to one, the others are not reduced to a single hen?

Not a very nice thought to think on right now I understand, but hopefully she will recover.

Best wishes

Terry
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X