Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sounding breathing

Hi

My maran sounds as though she's breathing through water, or her crop or lungs are full of liquid or something. She's had this before, but the vet seemed more worried about her pendulous crop (which she's had since we got her) than about her breathing, but gave her an injection and measured doses of something in a syringe for me to feed her for the next few days, and she gradually got better. I didn't isolate her from the others, and no-one else appeared to catch it from her.

Her breathing sounds quite different from the raspy, wheezy breathing one of the others exhibited recently when she got a respiratory infection, at which point all the birds were given an antibiotic. I must admit I've given Dotty some of the leftover antibiotic for the past 2 days hoping it would nip it in the bud, but it hasn't done so. The heat seems to make it worse. Apart from the awful noise she's making when she breathes, she doesn't seem too bad - eating, talking bossily, tail up etc, although she's moving around more slowly than usual and not attempting her normal wobbly run even for grain.

I presume another visit to the vet is in order? But does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with her please, before I go again?
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

I would guess it's either infectious bronchitis (is she the one laying funny shaped eggs?) or a mycoplasma infection . Both will need antibiotic treatment. These are the most common respiratory illnesses. The other hens will be at risk so keep an eye out for them developing similar symptoms. In the meantime give them all a good dose of fresh garlic in their water - I crush 2 - 3 cloves into a 10 litre bucketful of water.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
      I would guess it's either infectious bronchitis (is she the one laying funny shaped eggs?) or a mycoplasma infection . Both will need antibiotic treatment. These are the most common respiratory illnesses. The other hens will be at risk so keep an eye out for them developing similar symptoms. In the meantime give them all a good dose of fresh garlic in their water - I crush 2 - 3 cloves into a 10 litre bucketful of water.
      Hi RH. No, it's a different hen who lays the funny shaped eggs, and the softies. I'm tempted to carry on with the antibiotics I got last time then for the next few days, unless it's likely to be a different one used depending on the problem? It was a huge bottle with a very small dose for a small number of birds, so there's loads left over, and it wasn't all that long ago... I'm not keen on having to transport her again unless I really have to, because she gets very stressed in a box and it's so hot and stuffy already, I think it'll make her worse. I'll go add the garlic to the water now - I usually have some in there, but forgot last time I cleaned out the container. Thx.

Comment

I think its IB or mycoplasma and she needs tylan if you can get it.
        Ah, just read post in between- sounds like you have something suitable. Dose whole flock RH what do you think?
        Last edited by petal; 27-07-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hi Petal. We don't seem to have the same brands over here, but at least they're all rural vets and used to dealing with poultry, although maybe not with slightly nutty English women who treat their hens more like pets than food . I'll try to compare the ingredients in Tylan and what I've got if I can. I'm treating one other bird too at the moment - the little damaged one who spends all her time with Dotty, and catches everything that's going. She's already under the weather and it seemed better safe than sorry. I'll watch the others, don't worry .

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
            I think its IB or mycoplasma and she needs tylan if you can get it.
            Ah, just read post in between- sounds like you have something suitable. Dose whole flock RH what do you think?
            Well, I don't like to give meds to asymptomatic birds because as you well know dosing in the absence of illness can promote medication resistance but if it is a small flock and more than one has the same symptoms then chances are they are all infected to greater or lesser extent so in this case I would be inclined to treat everyone. With isolated cases then I would usually separate the affected bird and just dose that one.

Comment

Hmmm... I'll dose them all if you think I should, BUT:

1. I have a broody hen currently incubating eggs for someone else (not convinced she's turning them so they probably won't hatch but.. - should she be dosed too? She's having very little contact with any of the others, if any. She goes out once a day to dust bathe at lunchtime and the others tend to shun her. Personally I'd leave her, what do you advise?

2. Also, I've just started letting my 2 newbies into the main run over the last couple of days, mainly so they can find some shade and cooler spaces while the sun's been so hot. They're quite small, only about 13-14 weeks. They have very limited, brief (and often noisy..) contact with the others. Should they be dosed? Again, I probably wouldn't unless they show symptoms, but I'll take your advice.

3. 2 of the birds sleep on top of the coop at the moment, and they free range during the day. I'm assuming they're less likely to be affected since their contact is 'diluted'?

Please bear in mind, there's a 2 week egg withdrawal requirement in place with this medication!! Not that that would influence me of course, heaven forbid, but it's a long time to be eggless! And I'm not sure if the 2 weeks starts when you begin the treatment, or when you finish it - I did it at the end last time and was without eggs for nearly 4 weeks one way and another! Horrors!

One last thing - if I do dose the whole lot, do I keep dosing the 2 I'm dosing already until the next lot are finished, or just keep them going for the required 7 days?

And here's me thinking the summer would be a doddle! Lol
              Last edited by kathyd; 27-07-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Kathy they are your hens so it is really your decision .......

Respiratory disease will spread not only from direct bird to bird contact but via drinking water and feeders so even if new birds spend time apart from the others they will still be at risk of infection via the water etc.

I'm assuming the broody is in a broody coop anyway so if she has her own feeder and drinker she will probably be fine to be excluded.

I understand your egg concern. Why not just carry on dosing the two poorly ones for now and see how you go. If any more get sick however then I would recommend treating the whole flock after discussion with the vet.

Comment

Hi RH. I actually decided this morning that I'd do what you'd suggested yesterday and dose them all, so they've all had their first dose as of today, apart from the broody who I'm leaving alone unless she shows any signs of being poorly. I included the 2 newbies though. Thx for your advice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X